Neumann KMR 81i and Humidity

Jose Luis Diaz

Hi,

I'm a post production sound person. A friend of me is wanting to buy a general purpose mike but mainly for production sound (Dialogue). She is thinking in a Newmann KMR 81i.

Somebody told me that this mike is not good for locations with lot of humidity. She has a documentary work in a few weeks a head that will take place in a hot rain forest.

Any of you have experience in such conditions with this mike.

Thanks in advance.

Jose Luis Diaz

+1 for the 416 or any of the Sennheisers rf designed mics (or their rode counterpart). They are very tough!

Then again, I do own the Neumann because I love the sound and I never had an issue. I bought it from a retiring soundguy who did documentaries and I did ask about humidity problems. He said the only time it failed was deep down in a cave... So no slouch either!

I own a KMR 81i and a couple of Sennheisers (416, 70, 60, 50...) and I would not use the Neumann for documentary work. It is really sensible aubout RF influences. Once we where shooting near a TV transmitter and I had RF problems, even we where 200 meter away. I also heard, that they are very sensible to humidity, but I never had problems with that. But I never walked threw a Jungle with the mic...

Speaking of sound: I am also not a big fan of the Neumann sound. When I compare it with a Sennheiser, it always sounds, as would the actor talks threw a tissue. But this is a personal opinion. 

I also would go for a Sennheiser. The 416 is since decades known for its reliability. The new 8060 is also a good option. Sounds not so "sharp" and more "rich" in my opinion. And uses also Sennheisers RF design. It is a little bit more sensitive to wind, but nothing you can't handle with a blimp.