Travel to Mexico

creeoss

Hey guys.

Just booked a doc that will have me shooting outside of mexico city next month. Wondering if anyone has traveled to Mexico recently and what their experiences were bringing in gear and just in general shooting in the country. I won't have much, just general interview stuff, mixer, a few wireless, boom, and a poor grasp on the spanish language.

I'm looking into it now, but as this will be my first time traveling internationally, without a major network behind me, I could use some help. 

Thank you! 

I went to Mexico City about two years ago, and from my experience it was pretty chill. While there I didn't experience any issues, but I've heard from others stories about theft and lost items, so make sure that you have a good eye on everything you bring, and pack as light as possible.

Make sure that everything is insured by production. Other than that, enjoy the Mexico and its great food! :D

I worked on a feature in Mexico a few years ago and shipped all my equipment as extra baggage in Pelican cases on the same flight.  In a few of the cases I used my soft clothes as extra padding in a few of the cases .  Apparently Mexico has a rule about not "importing" used cotton clothing.  Because I "pusiste ropa" (put clothes) in with my equipment, production couldn't get those cases out of customs.  We rented additional items, I was sure I was being ripped off but I got the equipment when I was returning to the United States.  Maybe the rules has since changed but it's a good idea to pack all equipment separate from personal items and declare everything in those cases.

Judy Karp

Unfortunately I had a bad experience on a shoot last April, flying into Mexico City. We had a carnet with about 15 cases. The Peli case with two broadcast lenses J21/22 didn't come out on the baggage carousel. When we tracked down the correct ticket stubb, the airline guy told us that the bag had landed and was in the airport somewhere. We hung around and looked, but after some time decided to go to the hotel. The next day however, when we went back to the airport, they said the bag didn't show up in their system, there was no record of it anywhere. We then spent the rest of the shoot juggling with whatever lenses we could get our hands on. There was quite a shortage of those particular HD lenses, and we seemed to only be able to get hold of one for a day at a time. The original lenses never arrived and the production had to claim the insurance.

So all I'm saying is that whenever you fly, always make sure you, ( and the camera op), has got enough kit on as hand luggage so you can shoot if one bag doesn't come out the other end.

Apart from that we had a wonderful time, and enjoyed a warm welcome from everyone we met.

I was there last year also on a doco. Get production to do a carnet, but if they don't want to or can't afford it, at least do an equipment declaration list. 

In terms of RF and all is very relax, but a bit congested, like any big city, but if you are outside the city should be fine.

There is not much of sound equipment rental out there, so maybe check online for any rental places and what they have, for the 'in-case-it-dies' situation.

Don't remember having any issues in immigration with the gear, but i believe we had a carnet

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm new here but have worked a lot in Mexico. Depending on who you are working for your results may vary. ( Mexican or U.S. Production Company) First you should have a Mexican work permit prior to going. Second you need insurance that is valid in Mexico and third you should use a customs broker here in the U.S. that has a relationship with a Mexican Customs Broker. Usually production does all of this. I have never personally used a Carnet to take gear to Mexico. The broker handles things at both ends. Two such brokers for our industry are Film Logic or PAC Air both in Los Angeles. Hand Carry is always problematic! Ask the broker! Shipping via air cargo is best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk