New Ambient Tiny Mike Sets

TimoK

DSLRs?  Yikes...

Marc, I waited for this! ::)

The Tiny Mike is a very good sounding, light weight alternative to a standard video mic. Still it's just a video mic. Even in combination with a small recorder underneath the cam it will never replace a sound guy.

I decided to share it here because I know some jwsound members own a Tiny Mike and might be interested in the new accessories.

Personally, I use the ATM 216 for my private videos because I was never satisfied with the built-in mics.

Self noise fig and polar pattern chart? Wonder how useful 20hz is in this application. LF rolloff?

Technical Data

Polar pattern Hyper cardioid (mini shotgun)

Axial-addressed Axial

Frequency response +- 2 dB 20- 18000 Hz

Sensitivity 17mV/ Pa

Noise: Equivalent SPL rated at CCIR 33dB

Max. SPL 1kOhm 128dB

Dimensions Ø 12/ 8 mm x 140 mm

Weight 30 g

Most cameras own a low cut

ATM216_enu.jpg

Thanks for the info, has the ATM 216 ever been combined with the ATE 208 “Emesser” for a mini MS rig?

With windshield?

If it has any pics of the suspension arrangement?

I've been looking at the possibility of some kind of highly portable but reasonable quality setup which means there's a chance of having something with you, for those unexpected occasions when you might not have the full setup to hand, and have looked at the Zoom H6 but not had a chance to evaluate whether it's bulk, quality, and robustness add up (certainly it's not too expensive), and this setup with say a Sony PCM might work?

Marc, I waited for this! ::)  The Tiny Mike is a very good sounding, light weight alternative to a standard video mic. Still it's just a video mic. Even in combination with a small recorder underneath the cam it will never replace a sound guy.

Sadly, my experience is that many low-end producers will believe that a mic like this can replace a sound mixer. I don't doubt there's a market for this, but the sad truth that I see is that there are a lot of ignorant people out there who will misunderstand the microphone's purpose.

Perhaps appropriate for that end of the market?

But ya, would be nice to hear some audio from the latest tiny mike.

The video was made for the prosumer market to showcase the mic in big showrooms and on Web. I will capture some examples and post them on Monday.

Sadly, my experience is that many low-end producers will believe that a mic like this can replace a sound mixer. I don't doubt there's a market for this, but the sad truth that I see is that there are a lot of ignorant people out there who will misunderstand the microphone's purpose.

True enough. The complete prosumer attitude is to try to capture professional material with consumer technology. What they don't understand is that they still need professional staff to get to that goal.

Would it make a difference if a small company like ambient would discontinue a product which has been out there for ten years with all the Sennheisers, Shures and Rhodes out there?

I don't know, but since we love the product a lot we decided to continue.

Thanks for the info, has the ATM 216 ever been combined with the ATE 208 “Emesser” for a mini MS rig?

With windshield?

If it has any pics of the suspension arrangement?

I've been looking at the possibility of some kind of highly portable but reasonable quality setup which means there's a chance of having something with you, for those unexpected occasions when you might not have the full setup to hand, and have looked at the Zoom H6 but not had a chance to evaluate whether it's bulk, quality, and robustness add up (certainly it's not too expensive), and this setup with say a Sony PCM might work?

Not yet... Would be a bit tricky though to mount the ate onto the atm. Bit i find no reasons why it shouldn't work.

Prices? I'm in the market for a kit.

473 $ for the dslr Kit

527 $ for the Phantom powered Kit

You'll find the details behind the links in the first post.

Hi Timo, i was thinking It could be a good plant mic too. I know you have the adapter to XLR +48, but could you cable it to be powered by a wireless transmitter? Let say a Lectro SM with the 5v output?

Diego,

Yes that would work. The Tiny mike accepts up to 7V. We can send you a wiring diagram when you decide to try it.

Hi timo,

i bought one of the tiny mikes many years ago (late 90s/early 00s?) for a video camera. i really liked the mike and the tiny mix which i got with it. The weakest part of the system was the suspension. I made something myself from a squash ball and a piece of titanium wire but i'm sure the rycote has greatly improved on both of these. I also had a lead made up allowing me to use the mic with an audio 2020tx (for spot micing). Ambient doesn't seem to make the tiny mix any more. This got used more than i ever thought as it was very convenient way to use the extra 2 line i/p channels (return i/ps) on my SD302.

What happened with the Tiny Mix? I saw it got updated, then discontinued.

regards,

dan.

I'm having a heck of a time finding the prices.

I love you posted this Timo. And how the kit bundled together makes it easier for customers to make the most out of it. Great decision.

You will never regret clearly posting item numbers pictures and PRICES on this group. It's allowed! So if I understand correctly its 527$ for the mic, the rycote mount, the threaded adapter, the foam windshield, the mounting tube, and the phantom xlr cable?

I also wanted to buy the dslr cable And the windjammer to really be covered and have complete kit. how much are those separately?

Can you post a list of all the kits and parts and pieces and prices? Make it easy!;)

The US dollar being the reserve currency (for now), any price listed in us-dollars, those of us across national borders can figure out our exchange easily enough. Give or take. Basically, the exercise of fishing around for 20 minutes looking all over this page, that page, scroll here scroll there, for a price of a particular do-dad I find tiresome, when we could potentially cut the effort down to looking here in this wonderful thread on this wonderful group and hopefully being able to see a complete north american price list of their catalog direct from the manufacturer.

The US dollar being the reserve currency (for now), any price listed in us-dollars, those of us across national borders can figure out our exchange easily enough. Give or take. Basically, the exercise of fishing around for 20 minutes looking all over this page, that page, scroll here scroll there, for a price of a particular do-dad I find tiresome, when we could potentially cut the effort down to looking here in this wonderful thread on this wonderful group and hopefully being able to see a complete north american price list of their catalog direct from the manufacturer.

Sure, it's easy to calculate an exchange rate - any rate, but Ambient produce this stuff in Euro-Land. So variations in currency affect their profits directly, so they will want to avoid getting stuck with a price listed.

I know of at least one dealer (in the UK) who basically says that prices can at change at any time due to currency instability

*prices subject to change* then? no prices or difficult to find prices means no sale or very very delayed sale afaik.

remember we're talking about a manufacturer here, even though they also sell things directly to customers. But I think most shops absorp the price differences with their profit margin. So for the consumer the changes are not noticeable.

*prices subject to change* then? no prices or difficult to find prices means no sale or very very delayed sale as far as I am concerned. # pet peeve

remember we're talking about a manufacturer here, even though they also sell things directly to customers. But I think most shops absorp the price differences with their profit margin. So for the consumer the changes are not noticeable.

Hi fieldmixer, Constantin,

Sorry for the late answer I was sick the last five days. Today's the first day I'm feeling better again.

We have two fixed pricelist. One in € one in $. While the Euro price list of course is our own currency and will always stay constant, the dollar list is based on a mixed calculation. Only when the exchange rate changes dramatically and stays that way for a really long period we will be forced to adapt the prices to the new situation. 

The prices were mentioned in the very first link I posted. It was not my intention to hide them ;) but next time I will post them as text right away.

timo, what is the lowest voltage it needs?

or specifically, will a zaxcom tx power it - it puts out 3.3v. though wether it will be affected by the digital rf is another thing.

Rich,

the ATM216 works from 2.7V to 7V and thanks to the alumninum housing its better shielded than most lavs but I never tested it close to a Zaxcom.

Hi timo,

i bought one of the tiny mikes many years ago (late 90s/early 00s?) for a video camera. i really liked the mike and the tiny mix which i got with it. The weakest part of the system was the suspension. I made something myself from a squash ball and a piece of titanium wire but i'm sure the rycote has greatly improved on both of these. I also had a lead made up allowing me to use the mic with an audio 2020tx (for spot micing). Ambient doesn't seem to make the tiny mix any more. This got used more than i ever thought as it was very convenient way to use the extra 2 line i/p channels (return i/ps) on my SD302.

What happened with the Tiny Mix? I saw it got updated, then discontinued.

regards,

dan.

Dan,

glad to hear you were happy with the Tiny Mike and Mix. At that time Ambient was a 4-5 people company. The TinyMix was actually quite complex to manufacture and didn't sell that good to invest in new production tools, so we decided to discontinue it. I'm sorry.

I could see this being useful with a UH400a to plant. Would love to hear some samples.

Hi Sean,

I was sick the last week and still am but I promise to record some examples as soon as I can. Sorry for the delay.