one more time code question

Jack Norflus

Here is the situation.

The camera operator told me that he was running the camera at 23.98. So I set up my recorder at 23.98 and jammed the camera (Sony ex-3) with my ERX set to 23.98. So the camera was constantally re jamming code via the ERX. And receiving a scratch track.

Anyway after a day and a half of shooting the operator told me that he screwed up and had the camera set to 29.97 non drop by accident.

We were rolling for about 45 minutes at a time.

How big of a deal is this for post? And specifically, if post doesn't know how to deal with this - what specifically should I say to them on how to deal with this.

As long as you're moving from one non-integer frame rate to another non-Integer frame rate, the start TC stamps will remain the same, which is the important part. You can use Wave Agent to change the timecode frame rate stamps to 29.97 and that will solve the problem without adding additional problems.

EDIT - If post needs to change the TC frame rate of the video files, that's as easy as changing the TC FR field for the video files in post. Any NLE should be able to do this. As long as DF and integer frame rates were not used at any point during the recording process, everything will sync up fine when all the timecode frame rate stamps have been properly matched. Again, the start TC stamps should already be identical between 29.97 and 23.976 stamped files even with the different frame rate stamps.

As long as you're moving from one non-integer frame rate to another non-Integer frame rate, the start TC stamps will remain the same, which is the important part. You can use Wave Agent to change the timecode frame rate stamps to 29.97 and that will solve the problem without adding additional problems.

Watch out for that, because this will only work for :00 frame timecode numbers. If it's a 788 or other SD recorder, then it will start every file at a :00 frame count, so that could "theoretically" work. Otherwise, :04 would have to be changed to :05, :08 would have to be changed to :10, and so on. Multiples of 4 on one have to be multiples of 5 on the other. Don't even think of changing smaller numbers.