Zaxcom New Modulation

RadoStefanov

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great if the RX900 receivers could take advantage of the new modulation but so far that's not been offered either. Even if it's possible, at the least it would likely require a round trip to New Jersey.

Over on the Zaxcom forum, Howy says that the RX900 series uses 15 year old DSP chip technology and it's already maxed out. It's literally impossible to accomplish.

Yes the MAXX and the Camera Link will eventually get the XR modulation too.  I don't think it is as important for those products since in those applications people are using stereo mode.  Also since no one has a transmitter in their pocket in those applications the range is already more than you typically need.

BTW, I posted the new modulation software on the Zaxcom forum today (in the QRX software thread).

-howy

You need to be calibrated to be PAST the 7.30P barrier (which might be what you're saying).  For instance, current firmware (not counting the new modulation beta version) is 8.54.  If you're calibrated to be past the 7.30 barrier, then the new software should work for you.  I believe that's also true for the TRX992 but if there are any differences let's hope Glenn or Howy will weigh in.

Called and left word at Zax HQ, but just in case someone reads this before I plan to test on Saturday and can give a response:

I have a TRX992 that was sent to a certified Zaxcom tech and upgraded/recalibrated to the 7.30p threshold. Would this handle the new modulation scheme?

What version software are you currently running in your 992?

Careful with the new modulation!

As is stated, it's beta and shouldn't be used on jobs. I just found a bug when attempting to use Zaxconvert 6.14 on SD card recordings using the new firmware.

I tested all my cards on a TRX900LA (819) running an older release build and they work fine - 4GB Transcend, 8GB Kingston, 16GB Sandisk

When recording onto a TRX900LANC and TRX900LT (870) using the beta build, there is a nasty pulsing LTC static when you run the conversion.

there is something in the release notes about it needing zaxconvert 6.2 for it to work, which doesnt, as yet appear to be available.

i also noticed that with the new modulation, the remaining time jumped from 19 hours to 42 remaining on the card. which would seem to back up what you have found.

and it would make sense that the new modulation would also affect the data that is written to the card - i am working on the assumption that the data from the ADC after the preamp is converted to be suitable for the selected modulation, and from there sent to the card and rf amp. though remember that i dont design or program these things, i just use them.