Zaxcom New Modulation

RadoStefanov

Glenn, with all due respect, would you explain what you mean by the term "modulation"? My understanding is that it refers to the mechanism by which radio frequency is utilized to transmit data. I don't understand how it should affect the data itself. I suppose the question behind the question is: is there both an update in modulation scheme and data format, and does the data change also contribute to the increase in performance via better compression or forward error correction?

I, of course, understand if either answer is too much a part of your "special sauce" so to speak, but I did want to clarify and am also rather curious.

-James

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we utilize a software defined radio we have changed everything. The net result of that is that it now only requires about 7 dB signal to noise to properly receive the audio vs 12dB-13dB with our older modulation. By comparison the new modulation system is like using a half watt transmitter vs our older 125mW. This does not include the benefit of our new receiver hardware. 

There is a good helping of secret sauce so we will keep it at this.

Glenn

Props for using SDR! It makes sense now why you can change the modulation with an update to the firmware, and why processing power plays a major role. Can you just confirm for me that the encoding itself is not lossy (assuming a perfect link)?

Cheers, and really very impressed

James

Hello,

I run the 7.30 (didn't see any P) on my TRX900 with QRX100. Can I upgrade the TXR with the new modulation. Can I do it myself or do I to send the TRX to the factory? Many thanks for your help.

you will have to get the unit updated at the factory.

there was a change in how the transmitter handles the power calibration from 7.31 onwards, so if your software is older than that, you will need to get zaxcom to update and recalibrate for you.

... just a chart would do

Yes it would, but Zaxcom have never been very forthcoming with charts to help make clear what their fabulous array of complex equipment can do.

Occasionally a comparison chart emerges (there was one for different Nomad versions for a while), but otherwise one just has to be prepared to deeply immerse oneself in all model numbers, and all the capabilities, or try to make your own chart to make some sense of it, particularly of course with radio, Zaxnet, and timecode etc.

Perhaps a suggestion could be made to Zaxcom that some comparison / capability / upgrade charts would be very helpful?

Something for the new revamped website whilst as it's being developed perhaps?

olphi: " Can I upgrade the TXR with the new modulation "

as there seems to be a lot of confusion, the best place is to contact the manufacturer, by PMing Jack Norflus...

As long as you are running software 7.31 or higher you can use the new modulation. Anything lower you would need to contact Zaxcom about updating your transmitter.

Given that only QRX receivers can decode the new modulation.

Perhaps a suggestion could be made to Zaxcom that some comparison / capability / upgrade charts would be very helpful?

Something for the new revamped website whilst as it's being developed perhaps?

Its already on the new website - which should be launching this week,

Did you do a test with DPA lavs? Hoping the new modulation will solve or greatly reduce RFI.

Glad you asked, self! I did test this out today and unfortunately RFI is still present even when using the new modulation. Too bad!

Careful with the new modulation!

As is stated, it's beta and shouldn't be used on jobs. I just found a bug when attempting to use Zaxconvert 6.14 on SD card recordings using the new firmware.

I tested all my cards on a TRX900LA (819) running an older release build and they work fine - 4GB Transcend, 8GB Kingston, 16GB Sandisk

When recording onto a TRX900LANC and TRX900LT (870) using the beta build, there is a nasty pulsing LTC static when you run the conversion.

I just tried a fresh TRX900LANC card (872) on Zaxconvert 6.21 and I'm getting clicks during playback on the resulting conversion for any sample rate I choose above 32 khz.

My OSX clock source is 'Default' at 48 khz and the converted audio from the TRX900LA (819) through Zaxconvert 6.21 doesn't have the sample rate clicking when exported at 48 khz.

Jeff,

on the old website Forum it is under "Files & Downloads"  --->  "ZaxConvert"

v.

Where can we find Zaxconvert v.6.21? The main Zaxcom website doesn't seem to have it and I can't seem to find it on the Zaxcom users forum either (even though Howy did say that he has "posted it", but where?).

I just tried a fresh TRX900LANC card (872) on Zaxconvert 6.21 and I'm getting clicks during playback on the resulting conversion for any sample rate I choose above 32 khz.

I posted a fixed version of Zaxconvert v6.22 to the Zaxcom forum.

-howy

• 3 weeks later...