2014 Winter Cart/Gear Tweak Diary

Jan McL

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flash forward to 1/1/15.

Not much time this year nor reason to spend much time tweaking.

A couple of issues solved with the addition of some wood to move the boom spot cup so the pole doesn't hit the drawer hardware, and bobbers installed to better protect the flat side shelves from the wall when strapped into the truck for transport.

Check.

post-859-0-65486900-1420161720_thumb.jpe

post-859-0-71590500-1420161724_thumb.jpe

post-859-0-40194600-1420161887_thumb.jpe

• 4 months later...

A couple small improvements before I begin a June/July project:

• Custom foam to make transferring main cart gear to bag rig easiest. This is the only transfer needs to be made other than the iPad for sound reports. The empty holes will help me remember what to bring. Bingo.
  • The second photo illustrates my reason for the next tweak: ergonomics (thanks to Whit's better half Kathy). The proposed and currently-researched solution is a pair of sliders. The link and below image is a robust slider designed to handle the horizontal and vertical forces such sliders will encounter, and may be ordered with both closed- and open-state locks and shockblocks that distribute transpo-related vibrational stresses to the mounting apparatus. Perfect if this company will permit me to order a one-off. Spoke with the owner on the phone and expect a quote in due course.

http://www.jonathanengr.com/series-300sbt-undermount-c-1247.html

IMG_9859.jpeg

jan sound cart alex umbrella.jpg

aluminum_slides_300sblo.jpeg

That is a terrific slider design. Looks very much like the sliders I used on my first 4 carts. At Michael Evje's suggestion (you know Michael built the first upright cart with sliding shelves) I went to a Surplus Store in San Francisco and bought 4 pairs of sliders. They were manufactured for the military by Haliburton and our tax dollars went to the purchase of thousands of these at a cost of $245.00 per slider. I bought them as surplus for $30.00 per pound. Whenever I would build a new cart I would pull them off the old cart and install on the new. I only stopped using them because they are quite heavy and the ball bearings had gotten a little corroded over the 30 years or so I've had them.

slider.thumb.jpg.13e1ed1606ad302cb4af7de