Sampling rates

Tony Johnson

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Unless there are technical issues with the 48k calculation that don't exist in 96k calculation, any technical issues that exist affect 48k and 96k equally in today's converters"

This is the only thing I'm not so sure about. Unless I'm misunderstanding you? Some, Lavry and others seem to think that high rates have a trade of in accuracy. 96K could arguably be less accurate than 48K in practice.

I'll see if I can dig up the relevant bits and pieces.

Best

Nick

Does make you think of the requirements of a full supersonic chain end to end huh. No CCM's, older MKH's etc (not a great number of mic's at all actually), no long runs of star quad, no analogue flat bed's (sonosax sx-st not included)  before the recorder, not to mention the monitoring ;D  

Very interesting about the TrueMatch: they forgo the use of preamps in favor of 4 extra bits of sampling depth. I may be looking at the wrong thing though. This seems to suggest a 96k sampling rate (and only <20khz frequency range)

a bit off topic, but you are looking at the right thing. Apparently they recently updated the system and now made it 96k.

I think this thread probably has run its course. I for one have enjoyed this discussion a lot (also due to the Ximph video) and after we have explored many issues regarding higher sampling rates, I will continue to record at 48k.