7-Series Power Supply Compatible w/MAXX?

FreqShow

I just received my new Zaxcom Maxx Recorder, which as much as Im excited about using, was disappointed to learn upon arrival that they don't ship with an AC Power Supply. Nickel and Dime cheap if you ask me. 

That being said, I still have my 7-Series recorder that, as you all know, has a 4-pin Hirose connector for external power. My question is does anyone happen to know if it would be safe for me to use the 7-Series Power Supply with my Maxx recorder?

Thanks in advance!

hi, and welcome...

freq: " Nickel and Dime cheap if you ask me. "

I won't, and I disagree...

as long as your PS/adapter puts out a DC voltage within the acceptable range, and can handle the required current, it will interchange fine... that's pretty basic stuff, so I wonder if you need Jay Rose's books at www.dplay.com..?

that is so basic, that if you cannot sus that out yourself, you may well be overcharging your clients...

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

studiomprd, Im a sound designer/re-recording mixer so rarely do I need to assess electrical requirements. Regardless, there's no reason to be a prick about it. I appreciate the input and hopefully you'll appreciate mine when I recommend you hold off on being a wise ass. It's a not a good look regardless of what you know. 

As per your disagreement regarding the unsupplied power supply, thats fine, but I can't think of a single instance where I purchased a device that supports AC power that didn't come equipped with one. Especially when paying $3k for something.

Cheers

Evidently you don't buy a lot of ENG equipment. Some of the gear comes with an AC cord some does not. Because the gear is generally powered via DC batteries the AC power line is a secondary concern.

Even as a studio guy you should know the power requirements of the equipment and how to read the manual and the sticker on the equipment.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

I disagree with the O.P.

If needing an external power supply was an important requirement for me, I would have checked to see what came with the unit and decided on my purchases accordingly.  I wouldn't expect a device whose primary purpose was as a bag mixer/recorder to come with an A.C. adapter (imagine how long the extension cord would have to be).  Neither of my Sound Devices ENG mixers came with an external power supply.  If a manufacturer decided to include one, that would be a nice extra, but not something I would automatically expect.

As per your statement, "supports AC power" -- you're entirely incorrect.  It's a D.C. device, designed to operate on internal batteries or an external D.C. supply of from 8-18 VDC -- it's even clearly stamped on the unit.

My guess is that the 7-series external power supply would work quite well with the Maxx.  Like others mentioned, check the specs first.

Production sound gear is generally made to be 12volt DC. Even your Sound Devices recorder was made for 12v, but included an adapter. If my Nomad had a wall power adapter, it would go in the box of things I'll never need but maybe should hang in to in case of resale some day..... or I would cut off the Hirose end and wire it to something more useful.

I lost one of my AC supplies for my 7-series recorders.  It's cool, however, since I don't think I ever used it.  I might have used one once to test a machine at home for some purpose, and the battery was dead.

I'm sort of on the fence about whether one should be included or not.  It's great to have it, and it can't be too expensive to supply it, but on the other hand, why include something that 99% of your customers won't need or use?  More stuff for the e-waste bin down the road.

I don't know how the Maxx is advertised or marketed, so I don't know if you should have had a reasonable expectation of its inclusion.  There's usually some sort of "in the box" list for most things.