Aaton Cantar X3 Launch

Bash

Jean Pierre Beauviala again made the best industrial design for a sound recorder.(I know,I know : it may not be the best ergonomicswise,but the design is outstanding.SD and Zax still can learn from this..)  I don't understand the purple knobs on the faders: a bit 'my little pony'...! I really hope this will get Aaton back on it's feet again,because they are a fine company that deserve to be in our world !!!( also camerawise)

Regard to Jean Pierre,

David Carmiggelt

"I don't understand the purple knobs on the faders: a bit 'my little pony'...!"

I think we have to be careful making too many judgements, good or bad, based on this one photo of a machine that is obviously a mock-up, probably not even a working prototype. There is an assortment of knobs and switches shown that are clearly NOT what will be on the production model once it is released. I have been told that the "purple knobs" are 3D printed plastic mock-ups. Until Aaton releases more information about this latest Cantar model, most of our speculation is likely to be way off base. I am not going to start criticizing or praising something which does not yet exist. 

I think it was mentioned that the knobs are printed for prototyping purposes. No big deal. Happens all the time these days. It's way faster and cheaper to print parts like that than to machine them for prototyping purposes. Although, I do think it would be cool if you could get the knobs in different colors. 

Anybody really attended the show in Paris?

Real specifications, released by anyone from Aaton?

Not guesses or rumours?

Facts?

Jeff is right : we have seen a prototype supposed to be ready in September. They asks us not to show photos.

Wait and see or wait to test it.

Jeff is right : we have seen a prototype supposed to be ready in September. They asks us not to show photos.

Wait and see or wait to test it.

Intriguingly on the Cantar forum (at the time of writing) the only photos of the x3 are the 1s on this thread (via a link).

dan.

I think it was mentioned that the knobs are printed for prototyping purposes. No big deal. Happens all the time these days. It's way faster and cheaper to print parts like that than to machine them for prototyping purposes. 

I remember when Red originally showed detailed photoreal illustrations of their "Pro I/O Module," it had a bunch of bizarre Lemo connectors on it that made no sense, even using the same pinout for power and sound (!!!). I pointed this out and was promptly shut up by one of the Red marketing execs who said they just threw any old jack on the illustration to give people ideas of the size. I still say it's stupid to show jacks or knobs on a distributed photo that aren't really gonna be on the final product.

I remember when Red originally showed detailed photoreal illustrations of their "Pro I/O Module," it had a bunch of bizarre Lemo connectors on it that made no sense, even using the same pinout for power and sound (!!!). I pointed this out and was promptly shut up by one of the Red marketing execs who said they just threw any old jack on the illustration to give people ideas of the size. I still say it's stupid to show jacks or knobs on a distributed photo that aren't really gonna be on the final product.

i'm probably being a little pedantic here, but Aaton didn't distribute these photos (there are no official photos on their website) and they apparently ask "us not to show photos" (vm). Of course they had the (micro salon) event and unless they were confiscating folks' phones at the door...

d.

daniel: " Of course they had the (micro salon) event and unless they were confiscating folks' phones at the door... "

maybe the folks they invited are ethical, and honoring the requests made of them ??

I'm thinking Aaton may not be quite ready for public photos...

and perhaps the event was intended to start some buzz, which it seems to have done well...

be patient and deal with it.

Hello, from Belgium. I was at the "Micro Salon"in Paris and had the opportunity to see the prototype very close and to talk with engineers. No touch screen. 8 mic/line inputs high "Cantar-X" quality. And 4 more fixed level line inputs. Two batteries with LCD display. Machine 30% less weight. No specs published for now. The prototype you look at is a prototype. Please do not take definitive opinion about that evolving project! But feel free to continue suggesting what you expect thru the Cantar forum! Yours, Philippe.

I understand CrewC. We have to be patient! Pierre Michoud, from "Aaton Digital" (new company) took note of all the remarks we told him. Most were french film industry. You (USA, UK) will gain to establish a direct dialog with the designers of the new Cantar, because you will share your point of view, with some interesting differences in the way you are working.

Hello,

for a bag user, this kind of profile for the back XLR input panel is not very interesting. But why not have, as an option, an "in line" XLR input panel with low profile XLR. Could reduce the footprint of the back panel. But I m not sure that the bottom part is only an XLR interface and could be replace easily by a linear module XLR.

Not sure I m clear but not yet what I m expect for a bag work mixer. Wait and see....maybe not a definitive design.

Hello,

for a bag user, this kind of profile for the back XLR input panel is not very interesting. But why not have, as an option, an "in line" XLR input panel with low profile XLR. Could reduce the footprint of the back panel. But I m not sure that the bottom part is only an XLR interface and could be replace easily by a linear module XLR.

Not sure I m clear but not yet what I m expect for a bag work mixer. Wait and see....maybe not a definitive design.

I don't really understand what you are describing but i'm hardly the bench mark in this regard. It sounds like you have some strong thoughts on where the I/Ps are. Perhaps you could post a drawing of what you are trying to describe - some great ideas can be hard to put into words. There is of course the possibility the X3 is "maybe not for you" but as the "evolving" X3 is many months away and they seem to canvasing opinions, why not go for it. 

Personally i can see some advantages in the way the XLRs have been positioned in this prototype - they don't stick out of the side (which makes an operational recorder wider) and they will be easier to plug in and pull out than downward facing I/Ps (in the bag or on a cart).  Aaton seem committed to give the recordist more control area/dashboard than any other option out there. Unless they put I/Ps on a D sub and consequently XLRs on the end of flying leads/loom/stage box (which I imagine will not be popular) their current prototype seems like a good solution.

dan.