Aaton Cantar X3 Launch

Bash

Sorry about that! The beauty of it though is getting informative rebuttals such as the one Peter offered above.

sure, sure. Although... Kortwich is a common name for bags around here, ready-made or costum. Anyway. I don't want to stand in the way of interesting info. Here is a link to the website of André Zacher, a well-known german production sound mixer. He does lots of documentaries with the Cantar. You have to scroll through several pics to see those of the Cantar in a bag in action.

http://www.film-ton.com/pictures/documentarypics/docpics_az.html

sure, sure. Although... Kortwich is a common name for bags around here, ready-made or costum. Anyway. I don't want to stand in the way of interesting info. Here is a link to the website of André Zacher, a well-known german production sound mixer. He does lots of documentaries with the Cantar. You have to scroll through several pics to see those of the Cantar in a bag in action.

http://www.film-ton.com/pictures/documentarypics/docpics_az.html

Much obliged, will check it out. I'm familiar with Kortwich, just not with their Cantar bag (though I should've probably figured that since they custom-make bags it wouldn't be too difficult for them to make one up).

Cheers,

J.

I use the Cantar mainly in a bag, over the shoulder and it works well for me. What I really love about the machine and it's slide faders is, that it is very comfortable to mix with one hand, using one finger for one slider... feels like playing an instrument :-)

Although.... at the moment, I am considering to buy a smaller recorder as second machine and for smaller jobs.

nyhaperu.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
wow, €15k is a lot of money. And €4500 as a deposit for a machine you don't know anything about (they din't even list the number of inputs) and on the vague chance that ut will actually be ready by the end of September, is a lot of money, too. Just for the deposit alone you could buy a whole recorder from another company, but... it won't be a Cantar

wow, €15k is a lot of money. And €4500 as a deposit for a machine you don't know anything about (they din't even list the number of inputs) and on the vague chance that ut will actually be ready by the end of September, is a lot of money, too. Just for the deposit alone you could buy a whole recorder from another company, but... it won't be a Cantar

Well, I am sure if you want to send a deposit Aaton will reveal all details of the machine to you. 

And - maybe in some time Aaton will publish all details of the machine to come on the website. 

I don't read any kind of subterfuge or attempt to hide information in the website. 

I'm guessing it is not for you.

You're guessing wrong, I'm anxiously waiting for it. But I'll await its actual release before considering to buy it, as I would with any piece of gear. Wait till the infant diseases have been cured. Although the Cantar is not really an infant anymore...

Well, I am sure if you want to send a deposit Aaton will reveal all details of the machine to you. 

And - maybe in some time Aaton will publish all details of the machine to come on the website. 

I don't read any kind of subterfuge or attempt to hide information in the website. 

Hello there.. I must admit i have the same questions about this part of financing.  The first X was imo a serious step forward, so basically worth every penny.  It is still running here, so a fabulous return on investment.

But, to make another step forward ( and therefore justify the rather high list price )  i would also like to know a lot of specific specs before donating 4500 €.  The only thing users could see where pictures, and a prototype if they atended that paris trade show.. A bit odd imo, so i rather wait till i get some proper information about the specs ?

best, R.

I just can't see spending that kind of money on a recorder. I could buy a handful of other machines for that.

I suppose the market is very small, so the price must be very high. I guess that's the formula they are going for.

If SD or Zax made a miniature linear fader panel for bag use, I can't imagine many people would buy the Aaton.

Well, Hello there, Roberto...

in fact you do not even have to consider the upgrade, so feel free to not make a deposit,

Wow, really ? good to know.

I learn everyday.

Still, waiting for some proper specs to see if a upgrade  is worth the cash.

Analog and Digital Inputs:

• 12 analog inputs on XLRs
    • 8 low noise mic preamps with very high quality transformer. 48V Phantom, limiters and filters
    • 4 analog line inputs
  • Multiple AES digital inputs includes 2 AES42 pairs (mode 2), 8 AES/EBU and a Dante Audinat network access

Mixer and Outputs

• Ten tracks mixer plate with magnetic linear assignable faders
  • All inputs can be routed to any of the tracks (more than 12…)
  • All tracks and inputs can be routed to 8 analog auxiliary outputs and /or digital outputs
  • Mixdown can be assigned to any of the tracks

Recording Media

• Records and playback to and from internal 256 Gg SSD drive (expandable SSD size)
  • Simultaneous recording to internal SSD drive, two SD cards and USB external drive

Metering and Controls

• Ultra bright large swivelling display panel, visibility optimised for shoulder work or cart
  • Two large rotary control selectors for easy record and operations in any situations
  • Linear control faders addressable to any inputs and output
  • New improved interface menu accessible through buttons, jog wheel - All inputs and outputs monitoring and routing available through comprehensive and intuitive menus
  • USB keyboard input for easy metadata editing and routing control
  • Wifi communication

Power:

• Two identical on board quick release smart batteries insure seamless switchover during recording
  • One XLR4 DC 10-30 Volts input for extra power inputs when working on cart

More Specifications:

• Housing made of machined avionic aluminium. Waterproof and dustproof
  • Dimensions: 240 X 320 X 90 mm 

sr3Z5Xh.png
Ezju9jD.png
MHaqbIK.png