Aaton Cantar X3 Launch

Bash

The previous selectors you have seen on the X3 prototypes were taken from the Delta camera parts bin. When I was at Grenoble a few weeks ago they were trying different sprung inserts so that this new magnetic 'contact-less' selector feels as tactile as the original selector - which users generally preferred. The display is sunlight viewable and is now housed in aluminium rather than the plastic 3D print that was previously shown. See it at IBC.

Tim

More specifications:

48 Analog and Digital Inputs:

• 8 low noise mic preamps with very high quality transformer. 48V Phantom, limiters and filters

• 4 analog line inputs

• AES digital inputs include 2 AES42 pairs (mode 2), 8 AES/EBU

• 24 Dante Audinat audio inputs

40 Outputs

• 8 Analog line level outputs

• 12 AES Digital outputs

• 24 Dante Audinat audio outputs

4 Recording Media

• Records and playback to and from internal 256G SSD drive (can be expanded to larger SSD)

• Simultaneous recording to internal SSD drive, two SD cards and USB external drive

Metering and Controls

• Ultra bright large swiveling display panel, visibility optimized for shoulder work or cart

• Two large rotary control selectors for easy operations in any situations

• Eight rotary potentiometers positioned so the operator's hands rest on them in a perfectly natural position

• On board ten channels fader plate with magnetic linear assignable faders

• Direct access to monitoring and set-up functions through dedicated buttons

Power:

• Two identical on board quick release Lithium smart batteries insure seamless switchover during recording

• One XLR4 DC 10-30 Volts input for extra power input when working on cart

General Specifications:

• Open mechanical structure with independent Analog, Digital and Display modules for easy maintenance and - "anti-obsolescence" - upgrades.

• Housing made of machined avionic aluminum. Water and dust resistant

• Dimensions: 240 X 320 X 90 mm - 9,4 x 12,6 x 3,5 inches

• Weight: 3,550 Kg - (4,010 Kg with two batteries)

Connectivity

• 4 Balanced Analog XLR-3 Mic/Line

• 4 Balanced Analog XLR-5 (Mic/Line or Line Only)

• 2 DB25 (Balanced Analog Out / AES I/O)

• 2 TA3M (AES42 Mode 2)

• 2 Gigabit Ethernet (1 DanteTM, 1 PC Connect)

• 3 USB2 (Keyboard, external devices)

• 1 6.35mm (Headphones)

• 1 3.5mm (External slate input)

• 1 XLR4 (DC Input)

• 1 Hirose 4 pins (DC Out)

• Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (APP based communication)

• 1 DVI (External Video Monitor)

• 1 BNC (Word Clock)

• 1 Lemo 5 (Timecode)

Features

• All inputs can be routed to any of the tracks

• All tracks and inputs can be routed to 8 analog auxiliary outputs and /or digital outputs

• Linear control faders addressable to any inputs and output

• Linear control faders assignable to Mixdown of 10 isolated tracks to 1 or 2 mixdown tracks, mixdown can be assigned to any of the tracks

• Eight rotary potentiometers for direct control of balanced mic/line inputs

• Simultaneous recording to multiple media, or backup copying of recorded tracks post-record

• New improved interface menu accessible through buttons, jog wheel - All inputs and outputs monitoring and routing available through comprehensive and intuitive menus

• 16 or 24-bit Broadcast Wave File recording at sample rates from 44.1kHz~192kHz with support for pull-up/down recording rates

• Sample Rate Converters on all Digital Inputs

• Variable Delay on all analog Inputs and Outputs

• 10 Second Pre-Record Buffer

• Generous 48V Phantom supply guarantees 8mA to each of the 8 Mics

• High-Pass filters before preamp stage, LFA and EQ

• Native Monophonic BWF recording with optional Polyphonic real-time mirroring to removable media

• Self-Generated PDF and CSV Sound Reports embedded with deliverable media

• Metadata entry of Scene, Take, Notes, Track Names, Roll and more with support for US and Euro-centric metadata templates

• Scene/Take file naming structure

• Aaton AutoSlate automatic slate clap detection and logging

• Built-In Slate Mic with External Slate Input on 3.5mm connector

• High Precision 1ppm Timecode generator supports all common frame rates

• Remote Record and Stop triggered by external timecode

• Rec&Play: Record live audio while playing back pre-recorded files

• Enhanced Playback Monitoring with Waveform Display on front panel

• M/S Recorded Tracks automatically decoded to L/R for Mixdown and/or monitoring

• USB keyboard input for easy metadata editing and routing control

• X3 reads and displays battery metadata

• Compatible with Original Camtarem

My pre-order is on the hold mode. From now and 10 years. 15.000€ is a huge investment for the Greek market in recorder. But the specs is outstanding.

Vas is 'outstanding specs' worth that kind of  money?I saw the machine today and for me it was too much information on the screen,OK: smaller than the X1 X2,and a lot of knobs...Not MY kind of thing (but designwise great!!)

Vas is 'outstanding specs' worth that kind of  money?I saw the machine today and for me it was too much information on the screen,OK: smaller than the X1 X2,and a lot of knobs...Not MY kind of thing (but designwise great!!)

For 15.000€? No, I don't think so. Maybe around 10.000€ will be ok price, but only Aaton know why this price.

How about the interface design?If you put your hands on the faders you cover the screen.

Ergonomics dont allow shared bag and cart operation.

Price point is hilarious!!

If you want dante SD 970 is $4,629.00 for 64 channels!

Waveform display? Ok. So?

Aaton is on life support.IMHO if not the hole company, at least the recorder will die a slow dead...

Aaton went in to the shitter because their cameras did not adopt to the modern business. Same goes for the recorder.

We can all post romantic thoughts about Cantar here. It feels good I know.

Transvideo "the company that purchased AATON" chief executive Jacques Delacoux said that :

"a new product was a key requirement in applying to the courts to buy Aaton and audio was the easier option than continuing development of a digital camera "

If I was somebody interested in this recorder I would really wait before I can take it seriously.

$20,000.00!!

Madness!

It's very cool, but how many mixers will spend that kind of money on a recorder with so many other great options around.

I was always kind of surprised about people buying the Sonosax mixers. These are very expensive, too, and they can't do anything others can't do, too. And yet, people bought them. Why? Because they sound brilliant. And are in most aspects, brilliant, at least for those who bought them.

How about the interface design?If you put your hands on the faders you cover the screen.

Ergonomics dont allow shared bag and cart operation.

Price point is hilarious!!

If you want dante SD 970 is $4,629.00 for 64 channels!

Waveform display? Ok. So?

The price is not for the Dante interface, I'm sure. It also has 8 excellent mic pres (which the SD 970 doesn't have) and A/D converters which will put anything SD or Zaxcom have built to shame (I'm basing this on the X2).

The Cantar X2 was already $17000 and still people bought it. Now here we have a much more advanced machine. Naturally, it's more expensive.

I'm not sure about those faders, too, but talk to X2 users, most of them love them.

I know a couple of people who have bought the new Range Rover and paid £110k - that is €140k / $180k. Undoubtedly a really fantastic vehicle but I could never justify paying that much for a set of wheels. For me it would be madness. However, I have a couple of Cantar X2s and a Sonosax ST as unlike the Range Rover I can appreciate their value as I use them every working day. I am ready for an upgrade and that upgrade will be to an X3. I know there is a lot of choice but there is no other recorder / mixer out there that I am particularly attracted to.

Tim

Vas: " Maybe around 10.000€ will be ok price, "

now we are back to that discussion -in another thread- about what is a "good price", and who it is good for.

who has been paying those great, and expensive, engineers to design, develop,  build, test, promote and support this project..?

I would expect that they would both want to sell a bunch of units, and get a fair return.