Aaton Cantar X3 Launch

Bash

I was always kind of surprised about people buying the Sonosax mixers. These are very expensive, too, and they can't do anything others can't do, too. And yet, people bought them. Why? Because they sound brilliant. And are in most aspects, brilliant, at least for those who bought them.

Constantin,name me the 'cartbased mixers' that have 8-10 inputs,option for internal recording,8 direct,8 line and 8 AES outputs,4x aux per input,3x private comm...Sonosax ST...That is why I bought it.

Constantin,name me the 'cartbased mixers' that have 8-10 inputs,option for internal recording,8 direct,8 line and 8 AES outputs,4x aux per input,3x private comm...Sonosax ST...That is why I bought it.

There are various mixers that would almost fit the bill, from Audio Developments, PSC, Yamaha, without internal recording, but at half the price at most.

Anyway, that really wasn't my point. Sonosax mixers are great pieces of equipment for those who need (and/or) want what they offer and are willing to pay a premium price for it instead of compromising in any function. It's the same with the Cantar.

well I payed a 'premium price' based on the future of more tracks: more outputs.AD,PSC and Yamaha ( 12V? yes when converted)can not be compared when it comes to outputs (maybe Yamaha?,but that is a BIG F*****).I bought a highend mixer for a heap of money that can feed at least 8 tracks to any box with (....)tracks.So now I'm recording to a 664 with a mixer that can last for the rest of my career.Nice!A recorder can last 6 (?!?) years,a mixer can last many ,many more.(Yes! I also have a Stelladat 2 (22000 USD) that I used for 6 years and is nowsitting on my stereo being part of the recordermuseum,along with the Nagra 4.2)

Constantin,it is interesting that there are some No 1 brands in Germany that are the top in the Filmindustry: Arri,Sennheiser,Neumann,Schoeps,Ambient but no mixers or recorders are German(we have Swiss,American and French) Why ,do you think, is this?

That is interesting, and I have no idea. Although there are some excellent mixer makers in Germany, such as StageTec, they don't cater to our market. Same with recorders, yes, but I don't know why this is.

well I payed a 'premium price' based on the future of more tracks: more outputs.AD,PSC and Yamaha ( 12V? yes when converted)can not be compared when it comes to outputs (maybe Yamaha?,but that is a BIG F*****).I bought a highend mixer for a heap of money that can feed at least 8 tracks to any box

Actually, my AD149 has 8 iso's and stereo mix , digitally, and 2 aux outs, but not on the digital out, I think

"8 iso's ,a stereomix out and 2 aux" is NOT 8 line out,8 direct out,4 aux (per channel) 8x AES out.Sonosax wins.But you are right about the costs: it is huge!but don't compare it to other mixers in the market.They will lose.

Of course, that was just referring to your previous post that you needed to at least feed 8 channels to any box. The AD149 can do that, analog and digital.

Anyway, none of this defeats my original point.

For those who ask if the cantar is a good for bag use ...it definitely is!

The only flaw of the X1/X2 was to be a little heavy..but it was released in 2003....the X3 doesn't weight much more than a nomad!

As far i mixing in the bag the X1/X2 was already more than great.. do you know an other bag recorder with linear fader?? 

Having the hands in front of the screen is not a problem at all ..and the mix meter are on the right where you can see them while mixing if needed. 

Hi Tim,

Any words from Aaton about EQ?

There is comprehensive eq on all channels as well as the high pass filters that are pretty much the same as X1 / X2 - which are very good.

The fact that it generates an automatic .pdf sound report is an amazing feature.

Looking forward to see the x-3 in a bag. I wonder how this is gonna look like with the wireless receivers in there.

Once again the reports in both csv and pdf are developments of what the X1 / X2 have been doing for years - expanded to do more tracks. 

Tim

Saw it in person today, and Pierre gave me a thorough presentation.

Definitely can do a lot more than a 788T or a Fusion. Very sturdy, and very intuitive learning curve. And all in one unit without the need for additional boxes or control surfaces.

It's the old Senatorium "You get what you pay for", I guess.

That selector wheel on the right is VERY powerful. It does transport switching and accesses most system menus. No multiple menu levels, everything is available by either the selector wheel or individual buttons.

The machine will be able to do a few file operations I haven't seen in other machines so far, and for which I use WaveAgent so far.

Pierre also told me they'd implement AES42 parameter control (similar to what a Neumann DMI box does). Again I don't know another machine that can do this without a DMI or similar box.

Input gain knobs will probably stay magenta, fader knobs will come in multiple colors.