Aaton Cantar X3 Launch

Bash

Hi Axel,

You mention Metadata problems , was this using a keyboard or just when entering with the jogwheel ?

How easy is it to correct Metadata in a previously recorded take ?

Does the Metadata update to all connected media ?

How does it cope with false starts ?

I haven't seen a manual for this yet so is it like the Cantar X1/X2 or more basic at the moment ?

Also the EQ isn't working yet but what about the high pass filters ? Are they set the same as in other Cantar ?

Last day I have attended to Cantar X3 demo day at Aaton local distributor here in Switzerland, prensented by Pierre Michoud, Aaton's customer relationship manager and Jacques delacoux, president of Aaton Digital.

Even though I am a Zaxcom Nomad orner, this machine is promissing.

We have pointed out the lack of any output option other than a D-sub. They are thinking of making a small output box attatched to the side, but not every attendee have been convinced. There's two headphone jacks, one 1/4 and one 1/8 with talkback mic in (4 contact) but do not have a ability to select different monitor mode.

With really big LCD screen, it is now more comprehensive and easy to navigate in its function (every function shows short cut combination under the menu).

To answer to Myk's question, their firmware is already in good working stage, closed to X1/X2, with already other feature. EQ is still not there but its HPF is there, before ADC, seletable 60Hz, 120Hz, -6, -12, etc. on every input including line-in (if I rememmber well). It seems like no LFA curved filter à la Nagra).

Metadata seems quite easy to edit, update to every 4 media on the fly. One thing annoying is that you can't edit during recording. You have too write before or after take finished.

Pierre showed us briefly how it work with false take. By cancelling the take, the recorder goes back to the same scene/take number. 

It is well thought out machine from user point of view, and still developping with user's feedback, idea, on set needs.

Masaki

Edited by Masaki Hatsui

I update notes and fix slate / take number errors both before action and when there's only one fader open, during takes.  

If your recorder and cart ergonomics makes it easy to do edit metadata on the fly, then it makes sense. 

Even if I have only one mic open, I prefer to listen closely. Ok, if it can be done I can see doing it after rolling, but before action. But I am far too nervous about a oossible recorder crash that I won't do this. It has never crashed, but it could. I spent way too much time in my life in front of a computer that would crash 20 seconds before finishing a 30 minute reverb rendering of a 3-minute song

I do all my Metadata work between takes

Even if I have only one mic open, I prefer to listen closely. Ok, if it can be done I can see doing it after rolling, but before action. But I am far too nervous about a oossible recorder crash that I won't do this. It has never crashed, but it could. I spent way too much time in my life in front of a computer that would crash 20 seconds before finishing a 30 minute reverb rendering of a 3-minute song

I do all my Metadata work between takes

​Good point, but is Zaxcom MARF a dedicated Mobile Audio Recording Format, much less likely to crash than FAT32, a Microsoft general purpose computer format, that was replaced with NTFS to improve reliability, amongst other things?

I've never worried about updating metadata whilst recording with MARF and never had it crash.

sorry to be answering late, with the current  software (1.43) it is not possible to edit metadata during recording, although this would also be on my wishlist.

the metadata thing is a to be corrected in future software updates. I am working with a keyboard. keyboard connection is fine, the editing screen is well thought, but the editing process is not (yet). it is too clumsy and needs many unnecessary keystrokes which are following a strange logic.  It simply requires too much of my attention for typing simple entries. but still: I am sure this will be corrected soon, because it would piss off many customers of this otherwise beautiful machine.  

it is easy to edit metadata of previous takes. there is a comprehensive list displaying one take per line along with your notes. you can scroll it down until the first entry of (most likely) your actual day folder. press one button and you find yourself in the metadata editing screen of the respective take. 

false starts are easy to delete (means moving it to the trash folder) with one key combination without confirming. 

metadata corrections apply to all media. 

​Good point, but is Zaxcom MARF a dedicated Mobile Audio Recording Format, much less likely to crash than FAT32, a Microsoft general purpose computer format, that was replaced with NTFS to improve reliability, amongst other things?

I've never worried about updating metadata whilst recording with MARF and never had it crash.

I'm not sure MARF is really the competitor to FAT32? Anyway, the file Format doesn't prevent system crashes, although it may help. It only rescues the file up until the crash, so in that way you may be safer. Nonetheless, every computer is more likely to crash the more tasks it has to work on. That's just a fact of life, regardless of a manufacturers "NeverCrash" claim. But most importantly for me, is that I prefer to listen to the take and not work on office stuff

The situation is like this: Several continuous take, so you have no time to stop recorder but you want to cut one take to another take, make some note, and you have to move one situation to another, without any pause until noon. 

You can't remember which take was needed to note, and you do not want to replay all the take...

By the way, Sonosax has choosen UDF for the new recorder. Arri Alexa and Amira uses also this format. MARF is kind of an adaptation of UDF to FAT32. I didn't recall but Aaton is still using FAT32 format for the media. We have tested what happens like battery lost situation, but if I remember well, they need to work a little more for that. But crash or not is not relies to the file system, but how the system works, especially how it treat the buffered memory, I think. I had done plenty of times to enter metadata during recording, but my Nomad never crashed.

When the battery comes closer to 0%, the machine automatically starts 30 sec. count down for shutdown. But one thing they have to work is in that stage, even you change the battery, you can't go back to record. The machine have to shut down and you have to restart.  And it takes a bit of time to start the recorder.

<When the battery comes closer to 0%>

i will never let this happen. have not let this happen in 20 years with various recorders... 

​Never say never. I had this happen in Russia during a doc with my X2. In a fluid shooting situation I ended up too far from our backup vehicle and thought I could finish the walk and talk.

In Cantar X and X2 you are limited to only 8 characters plus take number in the slate name . On projects that need series number , episode number , unit name , scene number and shot you can run out of space. Does the Cantar X3 allow more characters ? how many ? Are you limited to capitals and limited symbols ?

• 3 weeks later...