Aaton Cantar X3 Launch

Bash

Aaton: " From action films, blockbusters to independent movies, from "Skyfall" to "The Hurtlocker", the Aaton Cantar X2 audio field recorder has been used to deliver unsurpassed audio to the most demanding production sound mixers. "

I've noticed a number of comments about its possibilities as a bag mixer, I'm guessing for so-called reality and/or maybe low budget movies, etc.  but I have had the feeling (reinforced by the quote, and the expected pricing) that Aaton is not targeting that sector of our market sector...

Although I do know a few guys who did documentary (i.e. Bag based) work with the Cantar X2, praising, among other things, the long battery life. Which can be useful on a doco shoot

And of course, weatherproof and operable wearing gloves also are great for the doc sector. Now if they can get the weight (and price) down versus Ver 1/2 then we're talking.

E.

... and no one is discussing the new Nagra 7 (on jwsoundgroup.net) , demos units are at dealers...

Dropped by Trew on Friday, might have passed you there, and saw the new Nagra out. Man they make a sexy product. If only I could afford to spend that kinda dollar on two channels....

As Glen Trew pointed out about the Nagra VI (and I think about the 664 too), the size thing is just about what you are used to.  Neither of those recorders (or the Cantar) are as big and heavy as a Nagra IV-S.  If you are used to a Maxx or a 744 etc then they are big, but they do so much more.  Aaton makes cameras, so they understand about weight very well….

philp

And they said the 664 was big. Definately cart it, though I'd imagine some folks will bag it when needed just like the Deva.

we are kind of going around a circle. We covered this just a few posts ago in this thread. Many do bag work with the Cantar. Maybe not for you (or me) but for others it seems to work

Very interesting! Would love to see pictures with the Cantar actually in it with wireless, etc...

we are kind of going around a circle. We covered this just a few posts ago in this thread. Many do bag work with the Cantar. Maybe not for you (or me) but for others it seems to work

Sorry about that! The beauty of it though is getting informative rebuttals such as the one Peter offered above.