Aaton Cantar X3 Launch

Bash

Nice to see a successor of X1/X2...! There is no alternative to Cantar - and X3 looks promising.  Is the touch screen operable with gloves - or do i have to chop the fingertips of my gloves now...? Are they working on a Cantarem, too...?

it's not a touchscreen,  merely a display.  your cantarem will work with the x3 and aaton is working on a new mixing surface.

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys,

I have translated the AFSI article in English. This is a very UNofficial translation and I hope the authors will not take offense if I have distorted their views in any way. The article in french has a few occurrences of approximate wording and that is reflected in the translation. Also, I have never myself used a Cantar. Therefore, I apologize if I have mistranslated some the specific Cantar features.

For reference :

AFC : Association Francaise des directeurs de la photographie Cinematographique : French Association of Directors of Photography

AFSI : Association Francaise du Son a l'Image : French Sound-to-Picture Association

To be read alongside the original article for pictures and a better understanding of the structure. Enjoy.

The Craftmen of the “X3”

Who is taking care of “our” X3 ? The AFC has invited 3 AFSI members to come along to a tour of Aaton Digital in Grenoble. We have been able to put a face on the “working hands” that conceive the guts of the next Cantar.

The AFC has invited 3 AFSI members to meet with the team at work in Aaton Digital.

We have discovered a real craftsmanship. The condensed team of X1 and X2 only has one objective: being able to present a first prototype at the IBC next september.

Little tour of the workshop :

• For mechanics and components implantation in the enclosure :

• Yves Riviere is here making a little room to add another component.

• Sebastien Reyes (below to the left) is working on the PCB drawings and Jean-Pierre Charras is drawing a new version of the Mic preamp PCB.

• Frederic Mangeat is working on the hardware (with Nicolas Pinault who was not present during our tour).

• Pascal Grillere (to the Left) and Paul Thilloy are working on the software.

• Pierre Michoud, who is always in charge of cameras, is supervising sales and public relations.

• Jacques Delacoux (centre) leads Aaton Digital. Here with Jean-Noel Ferragut from the AFC

Not forgetting Elisabeth Perrin who is in charge of accounting and Caroline Hostalier who deals with suppliers and customers.

A large majority of the staff have been with Aaton since the adventure of the first Cantar, which emphasise the idea of a real continuity in the editorial continuity of the machine impulsed by J.P. Beauviala.

A team of developers and engineers open and listening to the end-users...

As it happened on the development of the X1 for which some Chief Sound Operators were solicited to give feedback on the future machine, exchanges are numerous between users, rental houses and their technical teams and other chief sound operators via the “fantasy Cantar” AFSI meetings last year.

Around the table from left to right :

Pascal Grillere, Gilles Deshays (DCA), Frederic Ullmann (AFSI), Sebastien Brum (Aaton who takes care of machine assembly and testing) and Paul.

On the table, some new elements like the main scrolling wheel, the new input pots and the inferior chassis.

Pierre is showing two Defi Technique representatives, distributor and rental house of Aaton in Switzerland, the new mic preamp boards.

Frederic Mangeat (and F. Ullmann – AFSI) with a motherboard prototype. Frederic is telling us about the advanced observation (testing – approximate translation) of the mix preamp, the “cornerstone” that did a lot for the reputation of the Cantar. He hunted down sonic pollution, listening to every component on the board (humming, electromagnetic phenomenons...), which lead him to modify several times the circuits and components implementation on the board, in order to remove the noisiest components from the strictly audio parts.

He feels confident in a 6 dB gain compared to the X2.

Paul is having Michel Casang (AFSI) try the new slider : extremely pleasant feel and very different from the previous versions.

Under the light, a X3 in parts on a testing bench.

Paul, who is working on the software, is showing us the menus of the X3 that so far only works with a keyboard.

Besides the technological exchanges (craftsmanship and subcontractors) between the two development teams who remain independent, Jacques Delacoux and his company Transvideo are conducting an important technological contribution to the X3 : large colour non tactile display (ouff! is an onomatopoeia that indicates relief), switches on the machine are lit and silent etc...

Here, on this picture, an accessory that could be very useful : a Transvideo Starlight HD display equipped with a very small tactile OLED screen (mobile phone-style), bearing the colors of Aaton Digital, that records video onto a CF card. Jacques told us that audio capture will be added on that display, which could become a much useful accessory on our carts.

The X3 is more modular, simpler to manage in case of failure or evolution.

We saw a functioning machine, and even though some things are not yet operationnal or “unveiled”, we have been able to discover an already advanced recorder :

• 12 analog inputs with 8 historical mix preamp and 4 line inputs

• 4 AES42 inputs, 8 AES/EBU inputs with DANTE capabilities

• 8 analog AUX output bus (line Level). Different output modules will be available.

• 12 tracks with an infinity of possible configurations

• Tracking medium – internal SSD, 2x SD card + USB

• The machine will be equipped with two batteries of a new type (identical to the Audioroot batteries for example) with an additional input for 4-pin XLR for external power supply.

We find the philosophy of the command/hands interface : the two wheels that become magnetic with an additional jog function for the main wheel. A true continuity with X1 and X2.

With a much more powerful core, it is the true technological evolution of a modern machine, with advanced external communication features : USB, wifi, DANTE network...

Many new possibilities reinforced the concept of a stand-alone field recorder. Faders that are not only assignable to mixdown, introduction of filters on each mic preamp, integration of a new phase correlator on screen...

The Arrival of the Cantar X3 will again question and surely revolution our workflow methods by bringing new answers to many current debates (pre or post fader recording, obsolescence of the polyrotate track function [no idea what that means, even in french])...

Even our two colleagues from the AFC, Jean Noel Ferragut and Philippe Ros, are in awe before this audio recorder.

Anyway, whilst heading back to Paris, a real feeling that passionate people are taking care of your “future” tool, like it was the case during the development of the first X1.

Past our worries of last year and the sadness to lose Jean-Pierre Beauviala, who will always be the “father” of Cantar, hats off to Jacques Delacoux, who is betting big in this journey and who, keeping the craftsmanship of the Aaton Team and bringing his ideas from Transvideo, will, we hope, prolong the life on Cantar in the history of professional sound recording.

We thank Jacques and all the Aaton engineers for their warm welcome and the AFC for inviting us along this tour.  

"Past our worries of last year and the sadness to lose Jean-Pierre Beauviala, who will always be the 'father' of Cantar"

What does this mean? Jean-Pierre is not still part of the team? Has Jean-Pierre died? Was he just not present at tis event?

It appears JP is no longer connected with Aaton. See attached:

"On April 26, 2013, a statement was issued by founder Beauviala that the company had to declare bancruptcy after quality issues with the Dalsa sensors for the planned Delta Penelopé camera, in order to give them time for finding a new investor.[1]

On June 18, 2013, Transvideo, the French monitor manufacturer acquired AATON through its holding company ITHAKI. AATON has become AATON Digital."

Eric

Jeff, again from the AFSI's last year's "News" :

http://www.afsi.eu/news/jean-pierre-beauviala-n-est-plus-avec-transvideo?

I don't know about detailed story but at the time when Transvideo acquired Aaton, Jean-Pierre was enthusiastic about the future, as a consultant of the new company. My guess is there's something happend well after three months...

Maybe our French colleagues knows the detail? 

Masaki

Yes, the latest news have been posted on our website a few days ago :

http://www.afsi.eu/news/les-artisans-du-x3?tab=

Vincent, that was what I reported on post #136 ;)

I wondered if someone in France does know why JP has quitted from development.

FWIW, the company Aatium have been founded in November 2013 just after his departure from Aaton Digital, but ceased activity in April 2014... Is he retired from film industry? :wacko:

• 1 month later...

I can't take those purple/pink knobs seriously. The design is so retro-futuro awesome, but the knobs are so...

Fisher Price...

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

the faders are held in place by magnets and easily replaced. not sure how the x3 gain pots are attached