Is RF radiation a concern?

bassmagnetic

In my young days as a ham radio operator I used to tape small neon bulbs on the tip of my mobile antenna.  When I would key the mic the bulb would glow.  You need somewhere in the 80-90 volt range for that to happen.   At the time I had a small SBE-34 transceiver that had about 60watts output.  The frequencies used were in the HF range.

11 hours ago, Paul F said:

No, I'm not saying everything else is safe. But studies show no significant results that say we should be concerned unless we have jobs that put us in range of high powered radiation energy sources.

Then say this. The above is a far stronger argument than saying the sun is so strong anyway, everything else is negligible. 

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

Then say this. The above is a far stronger argument than saying the sun is so strong anyway, everything else is negligible. 

Actually, Quantum Physics shows a somewhat non intuitive property.  If a radiation source doesn't have energetic enough photons to cause a non thermal effect, ie, it is non ionizing, no matter how many photons you receive no ionization will happen. Only thermal effects. Remember that the number of photons is the intensity of the radiation. 

Now, imagine you are in Normandie and you want to throw stones at England. No matter how many stones you throw, none of them will hit the target. 

This is important because there is no cumulative effect for non ionizing radiation. Using your Wifi, mobile phone and wireless microphones 24x7 does not increase a non existant risk because those photons simply will not break chemical bonds. 

Of course, if the radiation is very strong you can get a burn, but the low powers of typical applications make it simply impossible. 

So, it's not that it's negligible. It simply is not. Unless, of course, deletereous effects are proven. I forgot to mention that the Ramazzini study (which was pretty well made I think) failed to show a dose dependent response. That also reinforces the idea that the observed effects were actually statistical artifacts.

7 hours ago, borjam said:

Actually, Quantum Physics shows a somewhat non intuitive property.  If a radiation source doesn't have energetic enough photons to cause a non thermal effect, ie, it is non ionizing, no matter how many photons you receive no ionization will happen. Only thermal effects. 

You missed my point almost entirely. 

8 hours ago, borjam said:

My apologies in that case!

Maybe I tend to overreact to the antenophobia nonsense because it irks me so much.

No, I was just exclusively stating that I think it’s stupid to say „the sun is stronger than any other radiation so we don’t need to worry about any other radiation“

That is a stupid argument and akin to whataboutism. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2020 at 3:14 AM, resonate said:

I for one suffered from severe headache once from Teradek video village that spew rf thru a bad cable - and my boom op had the same symptoms, we talked about it afterwards. 

My old Nokia 232 (circa 1996) would give me a bad headache (dull ache, but a strong dull ache) if I used it for more than 5 minutes, and I never got headaches  except when using that phone next to my head.  I think back then phones were in the 800 Mhz-900 Mhz range and output 0.6 watts. 

A few years later I worked on a EM radiation conference/convention in Maui.  The conclusions from all the studies were that cellphone radiation has no measurable negative affect on people, only a slight warming of human tissue.   Despite their conclusions I continued to avoid using a phone next to my head.