Rewiring Countryman B6 wired for Lectro to Zaxcom Lemo

Prahlad Strickland

Just wondering the Order of attack with such a thin wire?,  shrink wrap down to thicken it up?

What about where the cable exits the lemo connector,  I see the Trew audio cables etc when they do Lemo's it has that black "BOOT"    I'm guessing that is a special type of shrink wrap?,  trying to get some to add strain relief like they do...

Any idea where to get this?

Anyone have a countryman B6 wired for Lectro and willing to post a picture of how it's strain relieved / shrink wrapped  (booted)  ??

Thanks heaps for any help

Are you using the push-on or screw-on Lemo? 

The black boot is a standard Lemo item for both. 

mXx3cTPqapbpa14mXdL9xhQ.jpg

Depending upon how the B6 wire fits inside the Lemo components, I would add a layer or two of heat shrink tubing to build the diameter and add strength and strain relief to the cable.

Mine didn't ship with Boots :-(  from trew audio  

Pushons is what i ordered

me too...

laddie: " Just wondering the Order of attack "

remove old connector first!

yes, of course shrink tubing helps, and there are any number of ways to accomplish this wiring, but the tiny cables involved require care and experience.

I'll be thinking of u as i wire  it up

i'll do the shrink wrap and try get a boot...   do they supposed to come with boots?

It really depends on who you're buying them from and how you specify what you're getting.  It's worth checking whenever you buy them.  I've encountered them packaged with, and without, boots, and also a la carte for each of the pieces that make up a complete assembly.

BTW:  It's not "shrink wrap" you'd typically use, it's "heat shrink tubing."  Not trying to be picky -- just to help you get the right thing. 

Have you ever wired Lemos before -- or perhaps something else that precision?  They can be pretty tricky, even for someone experienced with soldering.

For Zaxcom transmitters be sure to connect the ground to the Lemo's shell.

It really depends on who you're buying them from and how you specify what you're getting.  It's worth checking whenever you buy them.  I've encountered them packaged with, and without, boots, and also a la carte for each of the pieces that make up a complete assembly.

BTW:  It's not "shrink wrap" you'd typically use, it's "heat shrink tubing."  Not trying to be picky -- just to help you get the right thing. 

Have you ever wired Lemos before -- or perhaps something else that precision?  They can be pretty tricky, even for someone experienced with soldering.

For Zaxcom transmitters be sure to connect the ground to the Lemo's shell.

Good to know,  I actually didn't even know it was a Lemo product ( the tubing) 

I've wired TC cables for Red One cameras,   at the time of doing it, I wish I wasn't doing it, haha

I get the impression we're in two different conversations together. I was referring to the boots as being a Lemo product that can either come with an assembly, or specified separately.

Yeh I got that,   

What I meant was taht I thought it was just a classy shiny shrink wrap.  

I'll specify them to be added to the order next time. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same situation.

Just received my Lemo connectors (FGB.00.303.CLAD22) without the boots...

Ordered directly from LEMO.

Maybe I was not so clever, because somewhere there was written that the boots were supposed to be ordered separately.

Now, while I'll be waiting to receive these boots, could I try to wire and use my connectors without them?

Anyone here tried to do something similar? Could the connector (or the connections) be stressed or damaged this way?

ps. I've just seen in an other topic () that Soundlikejustin was mentioning Lemo part  GMF.00.018.DI for boots. 

So I'm going to order them (even if I can't able to find them with the last letter 'I' on the Lemo website, but it is supposed to be the color).

Thanks,

vale.

• 6 years later...

Once again, this forum proves to be a wealth of useful information & pro tips.

Thanks to this thread (and a couple of others on here) I was able to successfully rewire a bunch of lavs for Zax with significantly less turmoil than I would’ve endured had the people before me not shared their experiences. 

Special shout-out to @John Blankenship for discovering the best Lemo connector option as well as sharing the perfect ground-to-shell technique. 

After 20+ years in this industry I am still  learning new things, and thanks to everyone here it’s a lot easier than it used to be. 

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros