True Detective Episode 4

ianreynolds1

Not to spoil anything for those that haven't seen it - but I just watched the 4th episode of True Detective, and I wanted to say that in addition to the gripping tension of the final scene, it was also technically fantastic.  

IMDB tells me that Jeffrey Humphries was the Boom Op, but doesn't say who the mixer or other on-set crew were. Christopher McGuire was the steadicam operator as well.

As a youngster it's incredibly inspiring in addition to the drama I mentioned. Regardless, if any of you come across this post, I just wanted to say congratulations on a fantastic scene, possibly my favourite one in years. 

I'm not sure if it's on HBO Go, but the making of True Detective had some BTS footage that showed a two boom set up with MKH50/60 and CMIT. IIRC, another shot had a 3 boom set up.

Another awesome thing was that the producers hired an animal handler to bring in a bird of prey to some of the exteriors- not to be on camera, but rather to frighten away smaller birds to allow them to capture clean dialogue. That made my heart grow 3 sizes.

Certainly a lot of logistics for that shot.  Besides all  the sound issues,  it had Hi Speed cars, helicopter, several fistfights and gunshots,  squibs,  Makeup changes (blood appears) a lot of running and jumping even climbing over a 7 ft fence for principal actors. as it covers many large exteriors at night and 3 or 4 different interiors all had to be lit with practical lights or hidden instruments.   Keeping all the film equipment, ADs and ACs and Boom ops and Generators out of the shot is a major problem in a shot like this.

I watched the episode last night and it was so riveting I didn't even notice that is was all one shot.  All the perfect timing made it seamless.

Kudos to all who worked on it.

Keeping all the film equipment, ADs and ACs and Boom ops and Generators out of the shot is a major problem in a shot like this.

Don't forget the work of the VFX people in post, who toil to erase any cables, lights, rigging, reflections, or shadows that might otherwise mar the shot. This kind of thing happens all the time.

I agree, the timing was just about flawless, plus it told the story and kept things moving very quickly.

I agree with literally everything you've all said. I just watched it again right now. I don't know if I've ever felt so excited about something, at least not that I can think of recently. 

That bird of pray trick is awesome, too. Good for them! 

Doug - is this the video you've mentioned? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoYq2bDaGt4

Soundpod - You're right in a way! I was reading last night that they built in cut points like the chopper, just in case, but it turns out they didn't need to use them.

Eric Ledet - my sincere congratulations goes out to you, as well as Geoffrey, Jeff, and Chris Cooper. This show is fantastic in every way.

CM - I agree totally with the failure to notice, at least right away. About halfway through it popped into my head but I couldn't pull myself away long enough to realize, until I re-watched it afterwards.

Marc - I agree about the work of the VFX crew, and should add the Audio Post team did a fantastic job as well - there were multiple layers of dialogue and effects, bullets whizzing past, the ringing of the ears, and so on.

I'm glad we all seem to be in agreement!

Another awesome thing was that the producers hired an animal handler to bring in a bird of prey to some of the exteriors- not to be on camera, but rather to frighten away smaller birds to allow them to capture clean dialogue. That made my heart grow 3 sizes.

Wow.  That is amazing.  Cleaner sound AND you get to have badass falcons on set?  Best sound day ever!

I was really impressed by the last part going over the fence, especially considering they were lugging around a Panavision 35mm camera on that sucker.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I watched the episode last night and it was so riveting I didn't even notice that is was all one shot.  All the perfect timing made it seamless.

Kudos to all who worked on it.

I know I'm late to the party, but I've just watched the fourth episode and like you I didn't realize it was "the six minute scene" until it was over. Intense to say the least and pushing the boundaries of what can be done in one take. All the planning and rehearing, the technical setup and the actual filming, just to get it right. Instead of having a couple of cuts. Fantastic! :-)

Cheers

Fred

ninja: " wouldn't you just jump at the opportunity to be part of filming a scene like that? "

:blink:

been there, done that...

(including some great shots on "ER")

although there had been some great shots like it before, after QT did a "360" in ResDogs, every Tom, Dick, and Matilda beginning moviemaker had to do a 360 shot, clearly style over substance.

(and, BTW, on "ER", these shots were a part of the show's style)

ninja: " wouldn't you just jump at the opportunity to be part of filming a scene like that? "

:blink:

been there, done that...

(including some great shots on "ER")

(and, BTW, on "ER", these shots were a part of the show's style)

Good for you! :-)

Long 360 shoots for me is swinging boom non-stop for an hour filming documentaries...not glamours at all but immensely rewarding for both mind, back and arms. :-)

In my opinion the makers of True Detective had the intention to put the viewers "in the situation" by letting them tag along with the main character uninterrupted for six minutes. Worked for me...

Cheers

Fred