Newbie question: Lav Strap for hairy chest?

Victor Nguyen

The lav strap is but one tool you can have in your kit that could be a solution. On occasion,hiding lavs can be quite challenging, and having lots of options available makes the job easier. I have all kinds of straps, tapes, bullets and mounts to make that part of my job easier.I will probably buy whatever gadget comes out next that will promise to help.

I keep adhesive remover packs in the cart (expendable).

When I dare ask an actor to tape his (always 'his') chest hair I offer to help him slowly, surely remove it lest the oil (they are oily) tarnish his wardrobe and fisticuffs ensue or tuck one in his pocket. Rare that anyone take me up on it, but the good will is substantial.

Definitely depends. I've found the lav strap to be hit or miss based on many factors. On occasion I've found an rm-11 in a lav strap between a tight fitting undershirt and a t-shirt can work for furry chests. If it's a button up shirt I would probably try to hide the lav between buttons and avoid the hair jungle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have also sometimes had luck with the Rycote furry overcoats, mashed into the chest and/or on the inside of the shirt. If the mic is picking up the sound of hair rubbing against the shirt, then it's not a mic problem -- it's a fabric problem. I can recall a situation where we changed to a boom for a shot with a hairy-chested actor, and the boom still picked up this noise to some extent, because it was acoustic, not mic-related.

Depends. Some chest hair is fine and doesn't give me problems, some is course and gives me nothing but problems. I find that men don't particularly like those mic bras, it makes them feel emasculated. I try to mount the lav on the shirt as opposed to the flesh, but in some conditions (and depending upon the actor) I'll tell my boom op/utility to just stick it to the hair, and tell them "I hope you're not partial to keeping that hair" lol