IFB - ComTek vs Lectrosonics vs Zaxcom vs Sennheiser G3 IEM

TomBoisseau

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had very little luck with cases. Most iPhone stuff is unsuitable. Finding anything with a clear window that allows buttons to function and covers the rest of the phone well is almost impossible. That BodyGlove thing looked the best, but is not available internationally.

I'm not sure that one BodyGlove model is still in production, I can't find it here in the US anymore. Somebody posted that Pro-Sound in NY may have some in stock though.

I never found a case I liked for Comtek 216 receivers. The stock pouch is way too big and nobody wants to use them. That's probably why many of my 216s have cracked cases. I could see how needing to repair those regularly makes the R1a very appealing.

I'm not sure that one BodyGlove model is still in production, I can't find it here in the US anymore. Somebody posted that Pro-Sound in NY may have some in stock though.

I never found a case I liked for Comtek 216 receivers. The stock pouch is way too big and nobody wants to use them. That's probably why many of my 216s have cracked cases. I could see how needing to repair those regularly makes the R1a very appealing.

Yeah, word on the street is its vanished. I guess the smartphone it was designed for is a bit old hat now. It was difficult for me to get them in Europe anyway.

I can understand Zaxcom's reluctance to get involved with such accessories, but purpose fit pouches like the Lectro ones do make all the difference.

I don't know if it's Zax policy or simply an oversight, but my ERX didn't come supplied with belt clips either which puts them on the naughty step. I'm using Sennheiser wire clips on mine instead. Still love 'em though. Great devices.

Good idea to point Mr Fisk at this Jack!

I don't know if it's Zax policy or simply an oversight, but my ERX didn't come supplied with belt clips either which puts them on the naughty step. I'm using Sennheiser wire clips on mine instead.

No, that's policy. They mention that on their website, albeit a bit tucked away: "optional belt clip". I think selling this device without a belt clip is grotesque, but they are not very expensive. And I also had to buy belt clips for my Lectro tx, which are fairly expensive.

Maybe with enough +1's zaxcom may consider a design and manufacture of a thick rubber (1/4 inch?) custom skin for erx's. They don't get hot like a transmitter. Again, would be happy to pay 20+$ for the piece of mind and bounce factor. I'm no expert in this but, In bulk, 500-1000 units, I can't image it being terribly expensive per piece.

No, that's policy. They mention that on their website, albeit a bit tucked away: "optional belt clip". I think selling this device without a belt clip is grotesque, but they are not very expensive. And I also had to buy belt clips for my Lectro tx, which are fairly expensive.

I must have missed that, which is my own fault. I concur that this strikes me as somewhat odd. I think they should really be a standard item, but hey ho. I was quoted something in the region of $25 per clip plus shipping by my supplier.

My Lectro TX were supplied with both the leatherette cases (with belt clip) and the 'bulldog' style clips. I did buy some of the wire clips which were very expensive, but as Lectro supply two different kinds of belt attachment for the SM transmitters in with the price it seems a bit much to moan.

Sennheiser, Audio Ltd, Audio Wireless and Micron all supply belt clips with their kits...just saying...

Sennheiser, Audio Ltd, Audio Wireless and Micron all supply belt clips with their kits...just saying...

...As does Zaxcom with their wireless transmitters (which is what you're comparing, isn't it?). 

Yes, the ERX is a different matter. 

However, while a company may dazzle you with the perception that something comes free with an item, the truth is that whatever you buy, and no matter who it's from, the end user pays for it, otherwise companies couldn't stay in business.  So that begs the question, if the wire clip on an ERX is something you won't use, do you really want to pay for it anyway?  If it's an option, you have a choice. 

While you may have the perception that accessories are free, that isn't actually the case and they have to be figured into pricing percentages for a company to remain fiscally viable.

If it suits a better comparison John - Senny IEM units all come with belt clips as do Wisycom IEM, Audio Wireless IEM and AFAIK the Audio Ltd miniature RX that can function as IEM. I don't know if Lectro price either the spring clips or pouches as additions. I'm going to guess no, but I could be wrong. Comtek - you got me, I have no idea.

I love my ERX but they are not inexpensive - $947 each by current exchange rates. I'm happy to pay more for the fantastic extra functions of the units, but would have liked that to include the belt clip that seems commonplace on other models of IFB.

Merely my two cents. I was just a little surprised when I realised they didn't have them.

For me, I don't mind so much if these clips are included or not or if they are factored into the price. What's important to me is that, one way or another, I have them when I need them. It would be very helpful if Zaxcom had made it clearer that this fairly important accessory is not part of the package. I could have ordered them straight away with the ERXs instead of gaving to order them separately AND wait another few weeks (yes, weeks) to actually get them.

I can see how the ERXTC might not include a clip, since it was really designed to go on a camera (I think), but the ERX was clearly designed to be a belt-worn IFB. The fact that it doesn't include the clip is surprising.

Dealers should make it more obvious that this optional accessory is not included.

Comteks come with a pouch (useless) and a plastic clip, which is more expensive to build than a wire clip, I imagine. I buy the "old" zipper pouches for my Comteks. They protect the case and can be replaced often to keep the gear I hand to the higher-ups looking new.

If I bought the ERX, I'd buy a pouch for it anyway, but I'd still expect it to show up ready for use.

Robert

I have one wire clip for an ERX, and don't find it totally useful. That might be why I didn't think twice about selecting my own smartphone/iPod case.

If the ERX is for monitoring, I would prefer a pouch. That pouch also comes in handy at times with some bizarre camera rigs when I end up clipping the pouch to the hand strap.

I don't know how the ERX2 housing holds up in 0F, but like I said above, many of my Comtek 216s are cracked from drops in winter off a belt. That 3 feet is too much for them. When it's that cold, people are bundled up and clip the Comtek someplace that's exposed to outside temperature. A wire clip is less useful on a parka than a spring clip.

I did buy the wire clips for most of my SM series mics for low profile use. I've never even unwrapped the leather pouches. I find them too bulky for my work, but my transmitters would be a lot prettier if I used them.

All that said, it wouldn't be much to include the wire clips. My Dad's business used to make similar items in house, including the heat treating, spring tempering and polishing. Unfortunately all the wire forming machines and related tooling are no longer around, or I would be toying with making clips.

I don't mind at all that they don't come with (and I don't have to pay for) wire clips.  I am not a fan of wire clips like the Zax/Senn/Lectro ones.  I find them unreliable, and have a tendency to work themselves off of a belt, especially thicker belts.  I prefer rigid spring clips all around, and I would also rather have a case housing my IFB's.

I don't really buy the argument that including the clips on ERX would substantially alter the price but then again I am no economist. I simply am of the opinion that they should be included in much the same way as other manufacturers of IEM do. To me it seems an inherent part of how the units are expected to function. I would leave the choice of their use up to the user.

Regardless. I love my ERX and would currently opt for no other model of IFB. Very much recommended.

Dominique, the $947 price tag is based on current exchange rates with the UK pound including taxes (assuming purchased in the UK with no shipping). Zaxcom gear is very expensive here if one uses the slightly unfair comparison of exchange rates - import duty and so forth must radically alter the cost in much the same way as Euro or UK gear costs a kings ransom in the US (SQN anybody?). The extra cost does make me my typically moany self about things like the lack of belt clips I suppose.

Soz Glenn.

Kelsey

I recommend the clips that you make to everyone. They work so well with the TRX's as well as the ERX's. You put a very good spring clip on yours.

Thank you so much Jack. I initially made them because of my personal opinions stated above. I am working on a way to make them easier for me, right now i have to hand bend the spring wire in the clip, which takes a while. I made them and sell them for the trx900la, but they work on the erx too.

Kelsey - how come you don't have a photo of it on your web site?

The sales of those clips took off on their own, mostly because i posted a photo here on JW of the first prototype (thanks again Jeff for this forum!). I haven't tried to market them because they are hard (time consuming) for me to make, and I have been fortunate enough to stay really busy, which makes them harder for me to keep up with. However, I'm working on that, and i plan on relaunching my website with a similar but updated design, and the stuff i make like these clips will be on there. I've been thinking about it for a while, good to know people actually see it, that will get me to hurry up and get it done.

Thanks Jack.

i plan on relaunching my website with a similar but updated design, and the stuff i make like these clips will be on there. I've been thinking about it for a while, good to know people actually see it, that will get me to hurry up and get it done.

With Zaxcom wireless 2.0 I think there will be a lot of new TRX transmitters out there that will need a quality spring belt clip.