IFB - ComTek vs Lectrosonics vs Zaxcom vs Sennheiser G3 IEM

TomBoisseau

Any of these work fine if you need just a few receivers.  I often use over 25 at once on big jobs, and have gone over that number many times.  Comtek is a good balance of price, range, ruggedness, battery longevity and "fi".  And for those on 216 it's easy to rent more for a super big job.

philp

if a rental house has any erxs in stock,  its often only a couple of tcd versions (now, the only one sold) for sending timecode to cameras.  adding ten more units for a special event is onerous. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, I don't mind so much if these clips are included or not or if they are factored into the price. What's important to me is that, one way or another, I have them when I need them. It would be very helpful if Zaxcom had made it clearer that this fairly important accessory is not part of the package. I could have ordered them straight away with the ERXs instead of gaving to order them separately AND wait another few weeks (yes, weeks) to actually get them.

I asked my dealer a year ago to bring a couple of clips in for the erx.  it was for a specific need,  now long passed, but I would like to have one on hand for the next time.  I do remind them, from time to time....

The sales of those clips took off on their own, mostly because i posted a photo here on JW of the first prototype (thanks again Jeff for this forum!). I haven't tried to market them because they are hard (time consuming) for me to make, and I have been fortunate enough to stay really busy, which makes them harder for me to keep up with. However, I'm working on that, and i plan on relaunching my website with a similar but updated design, and the stuff i make like these clips will be on there. I've been thinking about it for a while, good to know people actually see it, that will get me to hurry up and get it done.

Thanks Jack.

which transmitters have you tried your clip on?  please pm me.  I would like to order (2) for my la units. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am also curious about how these all stack up, but for a bit of a different reason: 

Basically, I just need a good reliable talkback feed to my boom op that has good range. I own Comtek 216s, G3s, ERXs, and have been using a Lectro um100/ucr100 set for talk back, but my boom op complains about static and range issues with it, which hurts her ears and makes her turn it off, which can be a bad thing when you need to communicate something quickly and my cart is somewhere remote, as it often is. She says she doesn't like using Comteks or ERXs because of range issues. Ideally I'd like to use something that she can leave open in case I need to tell her to back the mic off at a certain point or whatever during a take. I can't rely on any boom op to remember to turn up the monitor knob on the MM-1 after every take to listen for any feedback from me.

Really the only system that has been mentioned here that I am not familiar with is the Lectro IFB, and though Im not entirely excited about tapping into UHF frequencies for this sort of thing (not that Im excited about 2.4gHz either), but if the signal is strong enough then I may just make the move.

I would likely only be using this in a cart situation, so it is ok if it has to live on a rack space. Is there a benefit to using a T1/T2/T4 over a um400?

COMTEK 216 has the best range of any system. You might get a bit of hiss from time to time, but range is not an issue. Fidelity isn't the greatest, but good enough to get the mic in the right place.

And I agree with John, if your setup is correct, then your boom op should learn to cope. The 216 system is one of the most commonly used here in LA (it's what I use) and I have been lucky enough to have some pretty excellent boom operators work with me over the years. I also boomed with Comteks and preferred them over Lectro IFB. The "hits" on IFB are tough on the ears.

I have had some boom ops tell me mine are "clearer" than others, so perhaps there is an issue with some setups.

Robert

COMTEK 216 has the best range of any system. You might get a bit of hiss from time to time, but range is not an issue. Fidelity isn't the greatest, but good enough to get the mic in the right place.

And I agree with John, if your setup is correct, then your boom op should learn to cope. The 216 system is one of the most commonly used here in LA (it's what I use) and I have been lucky enough to have some pretty excellent boom operators work with me over the years. I also boomed with Comteks and preferred them over Lectro IFB. The "hits" on IFB are tough on the ears.

I have had some boom ops tell me mine are "clearer" than others, so perhaps there is an issue with some setups.

Robert

+1 

Comtek is the best performance wireless IFB.  I do CAR to CAR to Car almost everyday day of the week and Comteks have been rock solid. 

A lot better then any other system,

Good to know RE Comteks

My boom op doesn't complain or anything, but I wouldn't like an ear full of static either, just trying to get a better system in place than what I have. Her experience with Comteks comes from working with another mixer, and I don't know their setup, just that with that mixer she gets static on the Comteks. Ive tried working with Sennheiser G2/G3s, and though I too would get remarkable results in the past, I often work more remote locations (away from the action) these days due to workspace or accessibility, and although I don't have a problem with reception from wireless mics/boom, I do with the talkback mic, even when the TX is positioned high on the mast. 

I'll look into the Comtek system and see what kind of results I can get.

Sean ONeil,

T'was not I that experienced poor range. As stated in my previous post, my boom op had experienced it working with another mixer.

I have experienced amazing range with the standard option 7 antenna working on a show where the actors run off into the woods on their own beyond my sight for sometimes up to a mile (wilderness mind you). On my cart I have a mini mite, however most people here seem to agree (on another thread) that using anything other than the standard option 7 antenna is a waste of money because they haven't seen any significant results from a mini mite or phase right antenna system.

You are right senator, completely unreasonable expectations. However, I made it work for two seasons using lectros and working out of a bag. No one expected the comteks to work as well as they did either, but they remained mostly useful to the producer feeding the cast lines.

JonG: " however most people here seem to agree (on another thread) that using anything other than the standard option 7 antenna is a waste of money because they haven't seen any significant results from a mini mite or phase right antenna system. "

do you mean most of all 9000 signed up, or do you mean most of the active core here ??

I for one have had excellent results with external antennae on Comtek systems, and the improved results have been significant!

I ran some tests on transmitting antennas for the 695 Quarterly.

Briefly, I found that the telescoping antenna supplied with a Comtek base station worked about as well as any of the external antennas. But that telescoping wand attaches directly to the top of the transmitter and limits the places on the cart where the gear can be located.

The alternate antennas, Mini-MIte and Miracle Whip and the like, offer comparable performance to the telescoping wand. Because they connect to the transmitter with a cable, one has considerably more freedom to mount the gear in a convenient place.

The Quarterly can be found online here:

http://695quarterly.com/

And the particular issue with the Comtek antenna tests (Summer 2011) here:

http://695quarterly.com/3-3/

David

Would remoting the IFB TX closer to the boom op ever be an option?

A 302 with a UCR201/UM200C wouldn't be terribly expensive relative to the amount of equipment you have already, and you'd get the benefit of diversity reception with pilot squelch. It would impact your RF space though.

Or, for a long balanced cable run to the room your boom op is in, you can use a plug-on set to mode 5 to R1A and run a line and drop it in a corner nearby your op. ERX can also benefit from the hardlined transmitter drop with the IFB voting.

Cabling halfway isn't the most elegant solution, but if super long range and decent fidelity are a must, then it may be that all of the typical IFB solutions aren't the best in one regard or another. Needless to say, folks have been doing good work with the usual setups for a while.

RSA: " Would remoting the IFB TX closer to the boom op ever be an option? "

of course...

" a long balanced cable run to the room your boom op is in, ...run a line and drop it in a corner nearby your op. "

--sent from one of my personal computing devices using a web program

can you tell which ones ..??