Having an issue with my Zaxcom Maxx

AlanSound

Hey everyone,

Today, my Maxx v1.3 started acting very strange. While recording, it spontaneously shut off. I figured it was a kickout from my bds but everything seemed fine and Maxx booted right back up. OK no problem. Well we keep shooting and then break for lunch. When we come back and I turn the Maxx back on, and it appears as though the CF card has been reformatted. No media, no Meta data, nothing. I do a test recording and a power cycle and everything seems fine with the card, but the original media is still missing. I roll a bit more on the card since I was in a time pinch and things seem normal. When I pop out the card and mount it on a Mac, the card is named Deva_Fat32 instead of the usual Maxx. When I open it up, there are no files or folders. However, if I get info on the card it says that 17 of the 32gigs are used. The card I'm using is a Lexar 32 gig and I've been using it for months without issue.

So the media is there, just hidden or something. I haven't put it back in the Maxx since I'm afriad it will corrupt the card further.

Has anyone else experienced this?

-Alan

Thanks for all of the replies.

Max, I enabled hidden files and still nothing shows up. Very strange, but I'll try again on a PC tomorrow.

Jack, I'll definitely be contacting Zaxcom. Since there is data on the card I'm sure it can be salvaged.

After I cloned the card as a fall back, I put it back in the Maxx. It reads normally and everything post-mysterious-reformat is still there and readable. Now I just have to figure out how to get the sound off the card.

At least I can now do an real-time dub into my 788 if all else fails.

I use Nomad but maybe the information I have will be usefull.

From my experience, once you format your card to MARF format and you check the capacity on it, the card should actually appear to be full (my 32gb cards will say 31.xxxgb used even if there is no audio on them) I am not sure how this is on the maxx.

I once had an experience where DIT made a booboo, long story short I formatted my primary card and just after was told a mistake was made when copying. I was able to grab all of the formatted audio off the card no problem using a tool zaxcom made Link: http://www.zaxcom.com/downloads/ZaxFile%20Deva%20Recovery%20Utility%20v5.05.zip

Hopefully you can run this and get your audio back.

-Chase

The 17gb used on your card is the MARF half of the card.

I also suspect you have a bad card. I've run into this behavior with the transmitters, and it's always the card.

I would suggest in the future, when something funny happens, or things are deleted, change cards. Otherwise you may over write the original recorded audio accidentally, and then you will not be able to recover it.

Hey everyone,

Today, my Maxx v1.3 started acting very strange. While recording, it spontaneously shut off. I figured it was a kickout from my bds but everything seemed fine and Maxx booted right back up. OK no problem. Well we keep shooting and then break for lunch. When we come back and I turn the Maxx back on, and it appears as though the CF card has been reformatted. No media, no Meta data, nothing. I do a test recording and a power cycle and everything seems fine with the card, but the original media is still missing. I roll a bit more on the card since I was in a time pinch and things seem normal. When I pop out the card and mount it on a Mac, the card is named Deva_Fat32 instead of the usual Maxx. When I open it up, there are no files or folders. However, if I get info on the card it says that 17 of the 32gigs are used. The card I'm using is a Lexar 32 gig and I've been using it for months without issue.

So the media is there, just hidden or something. I haven't put it back in the Maxx since I'm afriad it will corrupt the card further.

Has anyone else experienced this?

-Alan

Yes...It's puzzling. 

I don't think I've seen anything quite like this before.

I would recommend, that we put the unit back in operation and let it fail. 

It should then be a simple matter to track down the cause. 

The first thing you can try is a partial format.  Go to the format page and instead of pressing the STAR key twice, press the right most PFL key twice instead.  That will just re-create the MARF wrapper files without deleting any audio.

You can then try Zaxconvert to get the audio.

If that does not work you can use the Zaxfile_50x recovery software on the Zaxcom web site (requires a PC running Vista or XP).

I have seen a little funkiness with certain Lexar cards here and there with both Nomad and MAXX (but not what you described).

I would try to stick with slower Sandlsk and Transcend if you can just to be safe.

-howy

Not familiar with the Maxx, but I've recovered 'lost' (no TOC) files with Piriform's Recuva. The 'lost' files normally have cryptic names so a deep scan and detective work is usually required.

Don't know if Recuva has a Mac version buts there's other recovery apps available for Mac.

Recording after an issue can overwrite a card's data that may have been recoverable otherwise.

SUCCESS!

The partial reformat worked great and gave me all of the sound from after the mysterious reformat. Thanks Howy!

I then used the Zaxfile_505 recovery software to reconstruct the whole card and got the sound from before the mysterious-reformat. All metadata has been stripped from these files, but at least we now have the full production day in some form. 

So thank you everyone for the help, and lesson learned: swap out the media at the first sign of trouble, MARF is great, and don't let that Lexar card anywhere near the Maxx.

-Alan

Great news - thanks for the update.

This brings us back to some users who were (and still are) asking for an option for maxx to record just bwf - if that was the case Alan would have been screwed. So this is yet another example of how MARF can save your butt. Chances are I could go for a very long time without ever having to access the MARF files - but the fact that they are there gives me a lot of comfort.