New Zaxcom TX and RX

Prahlad Strickland

The best performance will be any transmitter running the new modulation combined with a QRX 200 or 235.

The next best will be any transmitter running the new modulation with a QRX 100 with updated software capable of decoding the new modulation.

Hey Jack,

Just to clarify, all transmitters ("old" and new) that run the new software will have roughly comparable range (at the same output power), while the larger range increases can be found by upgrading to the new Receivers?

In addition, is there any performance differences between the QRX200 and 235, besides their stated feature differences?

Thanks in advance!

E.

Ok here is the deal.

• All transmitters (ones bought today and ones bought years ago) will have equal performance while running the new modulation.
  • The XR (new modulation) is only used in mono transmission - so it is not used in the Camera Link or if you are using a TRX-742 with a stereo mic or a LT or LA bodypack transmitter in stereo mode.
  • The LA, LT, or 742 can be ordered in two frequency ranges with an overlap between 596MHz and 614MHz: 

512.0 MHz to 614.0 MHz (Blocks 20 through 23)

596.0 MHz to 698.0 MHz (Blocks 23 through 26)

• The QRX200 and QRX235 will have equal performance in terms of RF reception.
  • Both the QRX200 and QRX235 will have equal performance while running in single and dual mode - so no degradation in signal in dual mode.
  • The QRX200 has a 35MHz wide tracking front end filter and will receive signal from 512.0MHz thru 698.0MHz from any Zaxcom transmitter (new, old or legacy).
  • The QRX200 can receive signal from any two transmitters simultaneously as long as they are with in 35MHz of each other - so it will cross blocks.
  • The QRX235 is block specific and only works in the block that it is ordered and can receive audio from any Zaxcom transmitter (new. old or legacy).
  • The QRX235 can receive signal from any two transmitters simultaneously as long as they are in the same block as the receiver.
  • The QIFB option is available in the QRX235 but not available in the QRX200.

I think that sums up everything up - let me know if you have any additional questions.

Ok here is the deal.

• All transmitters (ones bought today and ones bought years ago) will have equal performance while running the new modulation.
  • The XR (new modulation) is only used in mono transmission - so it is not used in the Camera Link or if you are using a TRX-742 with a stereo mic or a LT or LA bodypack transmitter in stereo mode.
  • The LA, LT, or 742 can be ordered in two frequency ranges with an overlap between 596MHz and 614MHz: 

• Both the QRX200 and QRX235 will have equal performance while running in single and dual mode - so no degradation in signal in dual mode.
  • The QRX200 has a 35MHz wide tracking front end filter and will receive signal from 512.0MHz thru 698.0MHz from any Zaxcom transmitter (new, old or legacy).
  • The QRX200 can receive signal from any two transmitters simultaneously as long as they are with in 35MHz of each other - so it will cross blocks.
  • The QRX235 is block specific and only works in the block that it is ordered and can receive audio from any Zaxcom transmitter (new. old or legacy).
  • The QRX235 can receive signal from any two transmitters simultaneously as long as they are in the same block as the receiver.

I think that sums up everything up - let me know if you have any additional questions.

Hey Jack. I was curious if you have been able to test a new QRX200 or 235 side by side with a QRX100 to actually notice the difference in reception range.

Thanks jack, thats very useful!  Since you have Zaxcom's ear, please let them know this would be very useful information to put on the website once its finally unveiled (if they're not planning on this already).

Since you are one of the few people to have gotten to use these so far, I have one more question:  On the trxla2 what would be the maximum battery life you would expect with Lithium AAs?  I have heard and read various reports anywhere from 6-10 hours using powerroll, but I would love to know how long I could squeeze out of these under the most conservative power settings.  I'm seriously considering moving to zax wireless, but my number 1 concern is battery life--it would be painful to give up the 12-15 hours I get on my smqv's.

Ok here is the deal.

•  
  •  

Man I got that so wrong. 

So in order to get the same performance in dual mode you dont need 35mhz separation in the QRX200...

Ok here is the deal.

Man I got that so wrong. 

So in order to get the same performance in dual mode you dont need 35mhz separation in the QRX200...

That is correct.

The tracking front end filter of the 200 is 35MHz wide. So as long as both of the transmitters will be with in 35MHz of each other you will be able to receive both transmitters. Regardless of the selected frequency dual mode will have the same performance.

Since you are one of the few people to have gotten to use these so far, I have one more question:  On the trxla2 what would be the maximum battery life you would expect with Lithium AAs?  I have heard and read various reports anywhere from 6-10 hours using powerroll, but I would love to know how long I could squeeze out of these under the most conservative power settings.  I'm seriously considering moving to zax wireless, but my number 1 concern is battery life--it would be painful to give up the 12-15 hours I get on my smqv's.

That is really hard to answer.

If you are using power roll the battery life can vary greatly - depended how long the TX stays in a low power setting. And coming out of power roll what power setting you are going to?

Battery life also depends on a few other factors. Are you transmitting ZaxNet? And are you recording the whole time or just during a take?

If you are at full power and recording you will get around 6 hours - If you are conservative you can get 8+ hours depending on how conservative you are.

Sorry I don't have a more solid answer because I haven't done extensive battery tests - but perhaps Glenn and give some more specifics.

I thought that, being in 'Loop Record', the TX is at the default power then, if PowerRoll is selected, when Rec is pressed on the recorder, it boost the TX power. In this case, I see REC even if the TX is at the default power so I'm not able to know if it is transmitting at (let's say) 50mW or 125mW, but maybe I'm saying something wrong.

@ Vale

Loop Record is how the TX records (continuously, overwriting old data when the card fills...NonLoop stops recording when full).

Power Roll is completely separate. This is when you remotely get the TX to boost it's output power when you engage record on the Nomad.

This is done in the Zaxnet menu by selecting Dynamic in the Transport Commands.

It's all there in the manual if you read hard enough. As Rado said earlier the QRX displays Rec to let you know that the TX is in record.

Regards

Trevor

Yes, thanks, I've extensively read the manuals.

What I'm trying to understand is if there is a way to understand if my transmitters, in a certain situation, are working at 50mW or 125mW. Since I work in Loop Record, I could always read REC on my QRXs, so I don't know if the PowerRoll boost input is received by the TX or not.

So, I were asking if there could be the opportunity to know this.

@ Vale

Loop Record is how the TX records (continuously, overwriting old data when the card fills...NonLoop stops recording when full).

Power Roll is completely separate. This is when you remotely get the TX to boost it's output power when you engage record on the Nomad.
This is done in the Zaxnet menu by selecting Dynamic in the Transport Commands.

It's all there in the manual if you read hard enough. As Rado said earlier the QRX displays Rec to let you know that the TX is in record.

Regards

Trevor