Modifying film tools sound cart and ATA road cases

saadasound

I've been working out the set up for my cart, and I've been thinking about the possibility of using ATA road cases, but then drilling holes in the sides to attach a locking system to the case so I don't have to use a ratchet strap to secure the case to the cart.

Even if it were secured by a few screwing pins or locking pins, I'd like that better then ratcheting. I also want to make sure that drilling holes into these cases won't compromise the integrity of the case.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Steve

Mike,

I have the Filmtools upright sound cart and I'm looking to have 2 separate cases. Top case would probably be an 8 or 10 RU and bottom would probably be an 8 RU. I wouldn't need the top rack to be 18" deep, would probably go for 12" or 15" to save weight and space. The bottom rack would be closer to a full rack or 15" deep rack with drawers and such.  

I've thought about the possibility of utilizing the Filmtools shelf I got with the cart, which is a full sized shelf... mounting the top case on that and bottom one on the nose plate, of course. However, I've even considered just making a separate welded shelf that I can mount the top rack on. I want to try and orient the cases so the cart isn't on its side when in use, which is how most/all of the filmtools uprights have been used, as far as I've seen. 

This idea would still try to incorporate a locking pin or screw system.