Zaxcom TRX Series Transmitter - Connector issue?

jgbsound

Howdy everyone,

I have a couple of Zaxcom TRX900LTs and I've noticed that they often break connection with the microphone if the mic pack is placed in a constricted place (such as a pocket).

Originally I thought that the LEMO connector on the mic was the problem.  

But after getting the mic repaired, the problem persists.  

Soooo, I sent the transmitter into Zaxcom to get the connected replaced and it's still happening!!!

Has anyone had a similar problem?  Is this a problem that is common to Zaxcom TRX transmitters and should be considered a design flaw?

What did you do to fix it?

Thanks for any help you can give me,

john

Which mic?  And do you know how it's wired? 

I had a situation where a Sanken wired according to Sanken's recommended Zaxcom wiring (shield to case, white to pin-1, and black to pin-3) had intermittent problems.  In this case, the issue was that pin-1 in the transmitter was pushed inward such that it didn't always make connection.  Other mics wired with pin-1 and case connected together worked okay, which means that they might not have had a good pin-1 connection, but the grounding to the case served as the other side of the circuit.

cant say its something ive experienced in many years of use.

what kind of connectors do you have? the push / pull, or the screw in?

with the screw in, there is a collar under the boot that can come loose, though that usually sounds like a noisy connection.

but that connector doesnt have a good strain relief just a crimp, so it could be that the cable is getting pulled tight as someone sits down, and is breaking or shorting a connection.

you could try, if you have the space and some adhesive lined heatshrink, making a loop near the connector (on the connector if you have the push / pull version as you have more space) to help with tugs.

I've had the same situation happen to me with a couple of LA's. Turns out that the screw on the transmitter (the cog looking one where you plug in the mic) needs to be very tight otherwise it will get that crappy "break-in-signal" effect. the best way to diagnose it is to wiggle the mic at the connector and see if you have an issue. You'll need to remove the case so that you can get to the screw. (This is why I now keep a torx head screwdriver with me at all times). Tighten that screw up and see if the problem persists. 

They are the screw in cos11s. I tried creating a strain relief by doing a loop on the mic cable near the connector and taping down it to the transmitter body. Didn't help.

These are all great suggestions. I'll give each of these a try and report back which one ultimately solves my dilemma.

Thanks everybody,

John

My LAs with Sanken Cos11D also had the problem. It sounded exactly like what you described. 

At the beginning, I thought it was the screw with the pins bad connection, but in the end, it was the last part of the lemo tube, where it was hidden in the black plastic shell, the place where they lock the cable for pulling...not inside the lemo, it's the place where before you can see the actual cable, there is a mental tube...it made the cable too tight...if you press hard on it, it makes the noisy ... 

(Sorry about my English, hopefully someone understands it :ph34r: )

Hiro