Leaving mics in their shockmounts and zeppelins

Jesper Magnusson

Hello!

Just something I was curious about; my impression is that most people leave their mics inside their shockmounts and blimps, even when they're not in use (but maybe I'm wrong about this). If this is correct, I was wondering if those of you who have done this for many years have noticed any negative effect on certain kinds of suspension?

Thanks in advance!

Jesper

Yep. I'm yes and no as well.

When I was starting out I worked for a mixer who broke everything down at wrap and built it back up to start each day. Besides this being an incredible waste of time, one morning he dropped a Schoeps getting it out of the box and it fell 4+ feet to the ground and dinged it up pretty good. 

CrewC

One thing I have noticed is that if you leave a mic in a suspension rig for a long time, the rig will tend to get bent however gravity pulls it. If it's more than a month or two, I'll take the mic out and store it, or I'll at least try to remember to rotate the blimp so that it falls the other way. The Rycote Invisions seem to be well-designed to the point that it doesn't seem to affect them very much, but I do leave the screws loose so that it's not stressing out the plastic slot.

I agree with CrewC above that it's a real drag to have to wait for the entire blimp, mount, and mic to be built when you need to quickly replace one boom mic with another. It's much better to have them pre-built so you can do a swap out in 15 seconds or less (if you have to).

All my mics are all dressed in their respective suspension-blimp-whatever-necessary system. Much less trouble and time waste.

I figure that a suspension-blimp system is a reliable way to protect a mic when moving.

I may be wrong, but didn't noticed any downsides in 30 years, so... 

But then, all my guitars have their respective capos, cables, tuners, cases, etc...

I'm a grab-the-handle-and-go kind of lazy guy, I suppose.

I leave all my outdoor mics (816, KMR, and even a cheapo MS shotgun) in their zeps. All except the 816 basket have lyres and work fine. The 816 has elastics that need to be changed every now and then.

I've started to leave my indoor mics in their Invision mounts too.

Now if I had the money for about six quick-lock sets. And a few more plug-on TX. ;)