Think we'll get paid?

Doug Brandon

Greetings all,

I recently worked on a 'two week of pick-ups' job where the union came in and forced the production to organize, being that they owed labor cost from last year's principal shooting. On our last day of shooting, the IA entered the scene and strongly suggested we strike touting reasons to believe we wouldn't be paid. I and the utility sound guy were paid for the first week, but the mixer wasn't. Nobody has been paid for the second week. Tonight I received an e-mail from the line producer apologizing for the situation, pointing the finger at the Exec.producer.

The LP went on to say, "The IA are working hard to ensure that the PHW for the IA crew is being taken care of as we do have an IA deposit with Cast & Crew."

Does anyone know what the 'PHW' refers to? And what are the implications of the so called 'IA deposit' with the payroll company?

Save the recent SAG situation, it's my first walk-off strike. How exciting--not!

Doug

p.s I plan on stopping by the 695 office and asking Scott Bernard but I thought I would give it a shout here first so I might know a little something going in.

The LP went on to say, "The IA are working hard to ensure that the PHW for the IA crew is being taken care of as we do have an IA deposit with Cast & Crew."

Does anyone know what the 'PHW' refers to? And what are the implications of the so called 'IA deposit' with the payroll company?

Doug

"PHW" and sometimes "PH & W" is Pension, Health and Welfare --- the benefit payments the employer has to make in behalf of its union employees.

-  Jeff Wexler