Post on a Spaghetti Western

KGraham045

It would do my heart good to know you told him exactly that.

Sorry, John's heart. These days I try to be calm and gentlemanly (gentleperson-ly?)  in all my interactions, both online and live. It's a way of making up for all my years of being a bastard. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Senator, would you prefer "light meter"?

These were arcane devices that helped judge how appropriate the level of light reflected from an object was for the sensitivity of the film being used. 

("Film" was this arcane substance that reacted to light by making chemical changes, that could be then resolved into changes in its transparency.)

Dr. Rose explains: " arcane devices that helped judge how appropriate the level of light reflected from an object was for the sensitivity of the film being used."

obsolete.... not needed to make movies anymore...

Actually, I have seen some old-school DPs still use light meters on modern sets with digital cameras. I think you can make a good point that light meters, histograms and RGB parade waveform scopes all provide different looks at exposure, each telling you different things. 

You can use them but I think there's a whole generation of new filmmakers who doesn't understand why or how to use meters, so they just go by eye. My response is: good luck if the monitor is lying to you. The meter does not lie.

Senator, would you prefer "light meter"?

These were arcane devices that helped judge how appropriate the level of light reflected from an object was for the sensitivity of the film being used.

An incident meter is frequently used. It measures the light falling onto a subject rather than that reflected off of it. The use of both is not uncommon either, often with a spot meter measuring the reflected light in selected areas.

An incident meter is that thing that has a hemispheric dome that looks like half of a ping pong ball.

incident meter is frequently used...

I thought about that when I wrote the post. And then realized that even when you're using an incident meter, what's going to expose the film is the (properly measured) light that's reflecting off the subject and background.