SD card more reliable than CF card?

olphi

Hello,

I have a SD 664 and I just want to know if there is a more reliable support than an other? Maybe a stupid question but due to the price difference between CF card and SD card ...

I usually record the isos on the CF card and the mixdown on the SD card.

Many thanks.

Hi Olphi,

Personally, I would want both cards to have the same exact audio files, and wouldn't separate the ISO's and main mix onto separate cards. I assume 1 card may fail on any take.

Also, as an extra layer of paranoia, I even like to have different brands in the machine at the same time. Also, obviously, only approved media.

Cheers, Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

Same here. I put a SD card through the machine, wash, rinse, spin cycles. Let it dry out fully for a few days.. all is well.

Me too. I accidentally put my mp3-player with a sandisk card in it throug the washing machine. The mp3-player came out stone dead, as expected, but the SD card worked without any problems.

I really don't know, or much care, if one is "more" reliable, as both have been pretty reliable -- the CF cards have those pins-- and both have their pros and con's, fans and detractors, and each year at the CES show, their campaigns for the hearts and minds of manufacturers and users.  Personally, I use both, and have no particular bias, though it seems that CF cards are first to be bigger and faster, with SD cards always catching up

Hello,

I have a SD 664 and I just want to know if there is a more reliable support than an other? Maybe a stupid question but due to the price difference between CF card and SD card ...

Many thanks.

hoodman has an interesting comparison, extolling the rugged nature of their sd card:

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1013

I really don't know, or much care, if one is "more" reliable, as both have been pretty reliable -- the CF cards have those pins-- and both have their pros and con's, fans and detractors, and each year at the CES show, their campaigns for the hearts and minds of manufacturers and users.  Personally, I use both, and have no particular bias, though it seems that CF cards are first to be bigger and faster, with SD cards always catching up

the speed factor has me as a fan of the CF card,  for the moment.  SD is sure to catch up soon.  I like to keep a back-up on my laptop, before handing off my card to the dit.  a 1000x card and a usb3 reader (into a usb3 equipped laptop) will dump a 10gb daily folder in "about a minute",  in apple parlance. this is particularly handy on location,  being able to hand off a card quickly, without having to look for where the dit ended up.

Hello,

Many thanks.

In a theoretical sense, they are both flash media, which means that they use NAND or NOR logic to store bits. In that regard, most typical flash memory have a life expectancy of 10,000 P/E cycles, or program erase cycles. Some, have been rated to go as high as 1,000,000 P/E cycles (these are more rare). That means that, depending on your usage, your CF or SD cards will last an average of 5-10 years.

Now, these are theoretical factors about flash media such as CF cards and SD cards. There are other factors that come in to play when it comes to reliability, such build quality, durability, etc. These are typically set by the manufacturers. Some of the differences have been mentioned above, the most important one IMO being speed. CCalandro also offers a valuable difference regarding formatting. I personally prefer CF cards as being more sturdy than SD cards (and also providing higher write speeds), but SD cards are more widespread, and provide comparable speeds. Most laptops nowadays even have an SD card port built-in (my MBP does). I think that the fact your recorder allows you to record to both is beneficial, and even just downright smart.

Which leads me to my next point regarding what you record to both media. Like Sean O'Neil, I wouldn't separate mix and isos onto separate cards. Editorial almost always prefers one single file to have everything. Less files to deal with, less time spent. I would personally record the same to both cards (both mix and isos). At the very least, I would make sure that one card has at least both mix and isos, and then to the other card I would record mix only in case that's all I want to hand in to Editorial.

On the subject of poly on 1 card and mono on other, is there anyone else who does this? My logic was always i give the poly files to DIT (unless requested otherwise, then i have mono files avail), i have mono files if post comes to me and needs something specific like "just the iso of the female talent from scene x", and if god forbid a card failed i could easily recreate poly or mono files with wave agent. It feels fairly safe. Should mention i do almost always roll a zax tc 2 track as a 3rd level bu so i have my own levels of paranoia

Ken P