Storing Gear at Home

codyman

I'm moving to a new apartment soon, but I've been thinking about a more efficient way of storing my gear when it's home, both for organizational purposes alongside security.  My current place has a big cabinet built in which I've been storing my pelican cases / sound bag etc. in, but my new place won't have that.  How does everyone store your gear when it's at home, especially for you apartment / smaller place dwellers out there?  I'm currently thinking of getting a locking metal storage cabinet (those 72" tall ones you see in studios for locking up microphones etc.) but I'm curious to know of any other solutions...

I would suggest renting a locker or storage unit at a local storage facility. You'll want to choose a place that allows 24-hour access. No place is 100% secure but a proper storage facility is much safer than your apartment both for theft and for fire. It will cost you a bit every month but it's a legitimate professional expense and fully deductible.

I've not followed this advice myself but my home has an attached garage and a storage closet immediately inside in the front hall. That keeps my gear both reasonably safe and accessible. My friend, Tom Brandau, has long worked with a storage locker and I've had occasion to envy his ability to off-load gear and step away from theft concerns. I also know a mixer in NYC who keeps all his gear in a storage facility and goes there to do general upkeep.

Here in Los Angeles, I know two mixers who got together to rent an industrial space near the Van Nuys airport. Again, they have a place to work on their gear away from home and the ability to leave soldering irons on the workbench when it's time to go home. This is a more expensive solution than just a storage facility. These two mixers work pretty regularly (everyone has an occasional down period). You might consider something of the sort but perhaps with more than one other person to spread out the cost. Obviously, only partnered with people you hold in good trust.

Looking at facilities near my home in the San Fernando Valley, I see monthly rates for a 5-foot x 5-foot storage unit ranging from a low of $30 per month to a high of $90 per month. A simple locker, rather than a walk-in unit, would be less.

David

Looking at facilities near my home in the San Fernando Valley, I see monthly rates for a 5-foot x 5-foot storage unit ranging from a low of $30 per month to a high of $90 per month. A simple locker, rather than a walk-in unit, would be less.

David

It never really dawned on me to look into storing things off site.  In terms of theft protection, do storage facilities usually cover that?  I do have insurance on my gear and I'm not too worried about things (knock on wood, so far no claims...) but there's always the chance that something could happen.

I've never been thrilled with the vibe and possible safety aspects of using a regular storage facility for gear that I'd be in and out of on a daily basis.  Most people only visit their storage places very infrequently, a frequent visitor might attract unwanted notice.  We often have to access the gear very early or very late, usually alone.  In my area that is not a very attractive prospect.  Do those storage places allow you to have a separate alarm system in addition to theirs?   Is there on-site security with cameras to watch over you?   I can see this sort of place for gear I don't use much, but I want my daily drivers closer at hand.   A commercial building with its own security would be fine (and expensive), the main problem I've found in looking at those kinds of spaces was 1: that they wanted me to take way more space than I needed (for too much money) and /or 2: there were limits on the hours I could access my stuff.  IF you think carefully you can probably find a way to "harden" an area of your living space to keep the expensive stuff in.

philp

IF you think carefully you can probably find a way to "harden" an area of your living space to keep the expensive stuff in.

Yeah, upon further research, I am coming to this conclusion as well.  Although yes, you can get a decent space for ~$100 month, the access hours are ridiculous (some are 9am-6pm even).  I think I'm just going to get a locking cabinet as that would thwart anyone with intentions of grabbing something and running (not that I even have a ton of people over anyways).  Let's face it, a thief would rather grab a laptop on a desk and dash rather than try to break a lock.

Renters insurance I don't believe covers business equipment. Your business insurance on gear should cover that.

Most renter's insurance will only cover hobby items, and once you make a living off of it they consider it professional...Good luck claiming that tens of thous of sound gear is just a hobby.

Sometimes I'm concerned that people see me regularly lugging large pelicans in and out of my car at all hours, but I have a gear closet with a lock, a locked front door, and live with three pitbulls and two MMA coaches.  I figure if anyone manages to break it and steal it without incurring serious injury, kudos to them (and of course it's all insured). 

Sometimes I'm concerned that people see me regularly lugging large pelicans in and out of my car at all hours, but I have a gear closet with a lock, a locked front door, and live with three pitbulls and two MMA coaches.  I figure if anyone manages to break it and steal it without incurring serious injury, kudos to them (and of course it's all insured). 

If all that fails you, you have bigger problems on your hands....