-20db tone playing at -15db on avid

Jatb51

Hello, just got a report back from editors saying that -20db tone on the files is playing back at -15db when imported into tbe avid - as a result they're saying the audio is a little hot. question is, is this on my side somehow? I'm using a 788t and ad 256.

Thanks J

I would pull it into a different program and check what the correct level is. I would trust a Tektronix 760 scope or something else that's easily verified. Pro Tools might be another good arbitrator. 

I usually see level variances with Final Cut Pro -- never with Avid. Is this with a normal steady-state 1kHz tone?

At times when I wear my post hat, I've sometimes had problems with sound mixers who don't want to record 1kHz tone at the beginning of the shoot day. My argument is, "it's not for you! It's for us to see if we're screwing up!" Clearly, if post is seeing something other than -20dBfs, something big-time is wrong. 

I once got a call similar to this. "All your levels are really low! We need to turn our speakers way up to hear it!"

As we were on the phone I pulled up the files and checked my levels. All good.

I told them I would show up and help them fix it with these conditions -

If its my fault, I'll fix it for free and refund a days rate.

If they are doing something stupid, I want double my days rate for the waste of time.

I showed up later that day, turned up the master (set at -20 when I showed up) on their 4ch mackie that was being fed from the output of their avid system to their speakers, asked for my check, went home.

Best 4000/hr I ever made

Does any body still lay down tone at the start of the day? ???? ???? ???

mike

Yes. It really doesn't take longer than 30 seconds to throw down tone, so there really isn't a reason not to. As Marc said:

"it's not for you! It's for us to see if we're screwing up!" Clearly, if post is seeing something other than -20dBfs, something big-time is wrong.