OST 801 or 802?

Josh Bass

Hi.  I'm looking to get a couple OST lavs with hardwire adapters, so I'll have a backup wireless (will only have one wireless system) and the potential for 2 hardwired lavs if that should be necessary.

I know the 801 and 802 are very similar, though one is supposed to be voiced brighter than the other.   Wondering which one folks like. 

I have never needed to hide a lav in the 10+ years I've been doing this, of course never say never. I understand the brighter one is meant for situations where it could be muffled by, say, clothing.

I am not a sound guy but am a video guy who often (mostly) has to do his own sound. Lav would be used for talking head interviews, man on the street stuff, maybe lectures/seminars or training videos, not so much reality TV/movies/narrative anything.

So is the bright one too bright for over the clothing use? Is the dull one too dull? Does it sound like you're facing into a corner two rooms away?  Samples of both side by side with same voice?

I have all three models.  If you like a more natural sound and you use them unconcealed than I'd go with the 802s.  To my ear they sound similar to the Sonotrim mic.  Properly placed under clothing they can do ok but need a little bit of eq to brighten them up.  The 801 has a response like the Tram and generally could be used either way although the sound is on the brighter side but not overtly so.

Thanks. Guess I will try to find some sound samples.   Can't tell from the descriptions if I will like the brightness or find it "harsh."

As with many lavs it depends on the person's voice.  On a male speaker you might like the brightness.  On a female it could go either way.  They're so inexpensive why not get two of each?

Thanks. Guess I will try to find some sound samples.   Can't tell from the descriptions if I will like the brightness or find it "harsh."

It's really easy and just like what everyone said. 801 or TL40s if you're gonna hide them, 802s if they're gonna be used in plain sight. Neither works well in both scenarios in my experience.

You've probably ordered by now, but thought I should chime in.

I recently received 4 x 801's which I ordered for where I work. Be aware, ordering the lav mics means you will only receive the mics, no case or accessories at all. They must be ordered separately.