First experience with Zaxcom qrx200 wide band RX

RadoStefanov

Using the qrx200 with mixplexer I am discovering more and more range available.

I was hoping to not have another piece of gear in the bag but the extreme range that qrx200 gives me with micplexer compared to no micplexer makes it totally wort it.

So MicPlexer in the bag with the QRX200 is way better than the QRX100? Is this with whips or dipoles on the harness?

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

qrx200 by itself destroys qrx100 even when comparing dual mode on 200 vs single mode on 100.

qrx200 with micplexer gives me some serious range advantage compared to qrx100 with micplexer.

That's good to hear. How come there wears some confusion in the beginning as to the QRX200 not being much different in the bag?

That's good to hear. How come there wears some confusion in the beginning as to the QRX200 not being much different in the bag?

Rado correct me if I am wrong but I believe one issue was he was using an older QRX200 software that had an antenna switching bug. The newest software 3.19 fixed the bug.

Rado correct me if I am wrong but I believe one issue was he was using an older QRX200 software that had an antenna switching bug. The newest software 3.19 fixed the bug.

Yeah, not sure. Maybe John can comment too if this was the case as he was reporting similar range between the old RX900 and the QRX200 in the bag.

This is a condensed version of my findings:

QRX200 single mode VS QRX100 SINGLE mode - qrx200 is stronger with whips and a lot stronger with sharkfins

QRX200 dual mode VS QRX100 SINGLE mode -  qrx200 is stronger with whips and a lot stronger with sharkfins

QRX200+micplexer any mode vs QRX100+micplexer - QrX200 has some serious advantage over qrx100

QRX200 single mode VS QRX100 SINGLE mode - qrx200 is stronger with whips and a lot stronger with sharkfins

I know it depends on a lot, but how would you quantify stronger? Would you say you get 5-10 more feet or much stronger like 80-100 more feet?

I know it depends on a lot, but how would you quantify stronger? Would you say you get 5-10 more feet or much stronger like 80-100 more feet?

Out in an open parking lot maybe 80-100. I started walking away just to push it and found that qrx200 held strong while qrx100 was loosing one or the other antenna reception.What baffled me was when another talent was introduced I switched the qrx200 to dual mode and it seamed it was stronger and held better then single mode.

Going through a car the qrx200 receives maybe 2.5 times stronger then qrx100

I did a whole week following cars with only micing the driver on his belt and got very good range.

I dont see myself in the future micing the car with remote antenna for clear line of sight.

My initial thoughts. I received my transmitters and receivers today. First thoughts for those about to receive your products...

1) BE AWARE if you receive these products do not expect to use them right away, especially if this is your first transition from Lectrosonics to Zaxcom products. I got mine yesterday and no power cables are included and no 5 pin XLRs or AES cables are included. Fortunately I already had an old RX900 power cable as no lectrosonics power cables work...and this worked to power up the unit. I am currently trying to turn around my cables for extra four input the 5pin XLR for my nomad to function temporarily as a input into the Nomad from the QRX200. I personally feel that the manufacturer should make a complete product to function right out of the box...but that is just me. At least the dealer should make a strong recommendation that certain cables are essential in operation of the units. They do include a couple connectors that you can solder...but I prefer professional/competent everyday electricians to make my cables....and you still need the actual XLR cable to do so.

2) After all that immediate negativity opening the box and finding the RX900 cable my mood changed drastically after finding the ease in scanning all blocks and love the on the side rubber indicators. Very exciting prospects so far. Going to release a full product evaluation shortly.

3) Also I currently own a Apple MacbookAir, I do not have a CDROM drive, and unfortunately the manuals for the new products do not currently exist on the Zaxcom site...so I'm left guessing right now.

Tim, i dont know of any pro radio mic manufacturer that includes power or audio cables with their systems - just too many ways people want to use it. but you are right and im surprised that your dealer didnt try to sell you some output and power cables.

there isnt much difference in operation between the QRX100 and the QRX200. you have a greater tuning range and also the addition of a range selection for when you scan. otherwise, reading up on the manuals that are available on the zaxcom website should get you started.

also, 

i did a brief range test last night with my new QRX200s.

i had 1 transmitter at 50mw and in XR mode and 3 receivers - 1 QRX200 in dual mode, 1 QRX200 in single mode and 1 QRX100 in dual mode. all fed from 2 dipoles via a PSC RF multi SMA - and i have read Glenns advice against using it, but as that is part of my normal setup, it was good for a comparison

i was pleasantly surprised as to how far all the receivers managed. the QRX100 didnt do significantly worse than the QRX200s - maybe 10 metres less, and all went about twice as far as i got last time i did walk tests with a similar setup, but with the old modulation.

which for an initial test before heading to the pub is very encouraging.

i will try and do some comparisons with another rf distribution box that i have that only has a 30MHz passband to see if there is any difference.

It does seem like the QRX200 and the QRX100, as of tests so far, don't show that big of a range difference, at least not what I and maybe others were expecting. Looking forward to more results and testing though that might show otherwise!

oh yes. that reminds me that the QRX100 i was using had only just come back from zaxcom after requiring repair and appeared to have a new RF board fitted ( it was an RF issue that required its trip to zaxcom). though i am sure that not everyone who is experiencing similar performance between 100s and 200s hasnt just had a new rf board fitted, but zaxcom may well have been improving the components in the QRX100 over the time it has been available - there are 2 different looking rf boards in my other QRX100s that have been bought at different points over the last 18 months or so.

also, 

i did a brief range test last night with my new QRX200s.

i had 1 transmitter at 50mw and in XR mode and 3 receivers - 1 QRX200 in dual mode, 1 QRX200 in single mode and 1 QRX100 in dual mode. all fed from 2 dipoles via a PSC RF multi SMA - and i have read Glenns advice against using it, but as that is part of my normal setup, it was good for a comparison

i was pleasantly surprised as to how far all the receivers managed. the QRX100 didnt do significantly worse than the QRX200s - maybe 10 metres less, and all went about twice as far as i got last time i did walk tests with a similar setup, but with the old modulation.

which for an initial test before heading to the pub is very encouraging.

i will try and do some comparisons with another rf distribution box that i have that only has a 30MHz passband to see if there is any difference.

Thanks for the info and results of preliminary testing.

Was it line of sight?

How far is twice as far as before, would you guesstimate? Approaching Hudson river width, kind of far?

it was pretty much line of sight - towards the end it broke up when my friend had to cross the main road.

the first walk test i did many months ago, i got maybe 30 metres at 125mw.

this test was about 50 metres. but that was as far as we could go before buildings got in the way.

so not quite hudson river. but i didnt have a kilometre of line of sight to try for.

What I really want to know is if the range on the new stuff is now up to par with a Lectrosonics 411a when just using whip antennas.

Almost any wireless system will do well when you're using high gain antennas.

Exactly! Keep in mind the hardware on the "Hudson demo" was using a QRX235 (which is a narrow band), and two directional antenna (+8db each).