First experience with Zaxcom qrx200 wide band RX

RadoStefanov

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 2 of field work. All on the cart trough micplexer and blueshark antennas. In the picture bellow I am outside a warehouse with the metal door closed maybe 90-100 feet from talent. dual mode on qrx200 vs single mode on qrx100. Dual mode was rock solid. single mode fluctuated. I am convinced the dual mode in qrx200 is rock solid. A very good surprise was when I remove antenna B or antenna A both channels are not as affected as before. Hopefully will have some bag work tomorrow and will find out more about the performance. But on a cart with shark fins the performance is better then before by a lot especially running in dual mode.

1925274_10203434194395441_2114691877_n.j

Day 2 of field work. All on the cart trough micplexer and blueshark antennas. In the picture bellow I am outside a warehouse with the metal door closed maybe 90-100 feet from talent. dual mode on qrx200 vs single mode on qrx100. Dual mode was rock solid. single mode fluctuated. I am convinced the dual mode in qrx200 is rock solid. A very good surprise was when I remove antenna B or antenna A both channels are not as affected as before. Hopefully will have some bag work tomorrow and will find out more about the performance. But on a cart with shark fins the performance is better then before by a lot especially running in dual mode.

1925274_10203434194395441_2114691877_n.j

Unfortunately since I am not that familiar with Zaxcom wireless products yet I thought in an above posting that Glenn said that there are not antenna distribution units for the 200 series yet. I am confused how you are using a micplexer when it isn't released yet...or if it is an old one wouldn't it be not functioning properly or actually hinder its abilities...? Again just a question...I appreciate your posting quite a bit.

Unfortunately since I am not that familiar with Zaxcom wireless products yet I thought in an above posting that Glenn said that there are not antenna distribution units for the 200 series yet. I am confused how you are using a micplexer when it isn't released yet...or if it is an old one wouldn't it be not functioning properly or actually hinder its abilities...? Again just a question...I appreciate your posting quite a bit.

The current micplexer is limited to just one frequency block, whereas the new receivers cover several blocks, so a new micplexer is needed

Anyone in the possibility of making a video, comparing the range of the (not updated) qrx100 tot the qrx200?

I will be making a full comparison once I receive mine...but that might not be a long time...the new stuff is on backorder for several weeks, currently double what I was originally quoted due to a lack of metallic sources for their blue metal or something rather.

First day with 2 QRX200s in a bag alongside a single RX900. I'm only using whip antennas, but I didn't notice any massive range increases. They seem to recover from dropped signals better than previous units -- less metallic glitching, but that's only a quick impression.

BTW, I recommend ordering your antennas "uncut" so you can trim them to whatever specification you like. I don't think I've ever seen any Zaxcom whip antennas cut close to their published sizes. I specified these latest ones for block 20, but they speced closer to block 22.

The QRX200s get really hot but seem to handle it okay.

I've yet to try the new units on a cart gig. I'm interested to see how they'll perform with the better antennas.

The LEDs are extremely bright. The adjustment for them doesn't seem to be functional yet. That's understandable as the software is still considered beta.

I really like the better display backlighting.

Ok

QRX200 does not like the full band of psc rf multi SMA.

going directly in my qrx200 is a little better then psc RF multi SMA

That's what Glenn stated in the previous page of this thread...

The RF Multi is not an option for Zaxcom wireless. If you put a wide band amp in front of the QRX200 you will ruin the performance of the receiver and its tunable filter. The multi also has too much gain and xtalk to be used with our receivers.

Glenn

First day with 2 QRX200s in a bag alongside a single RX900. I'm only using whip antennas, but I didn't notice any massive range increases. They seem to recover from dropped signals better than previous units -- less metallic glitching, but that's only a quick impression.

BTW, I recommend ordering your antennas "uncut" so you can trim them to whatever specification you like. I don't think I've ever seen any Zaxcom whip antennas cut close to their published sizes. I specified these latest ones for block 20, but they speced closer to block 22.

I've yet to try the new units on a cart gig. It'll be interesting to see how they perform with the better antennas.

The LEDs are extremely bright. The adjustment for them doesn't seem to be functional yet. That's understandable as the software is still considered beta.

I really like the better display backlighting.

Massive range increases in comparison to what the RX900?

First day with 2 QRX200s in a bag alongside a single RX900. I'm only using whip antennas, but I didn't notice any massive range increases. 

Mmm... I was really expecting that with the QRX200 the range increase would be more than evident

That's kind of unfortunate. I wonder what is happening here since range increases was where it was supposed to shine.