First experience with Zaxcom qrx200 wide band RX

RadoStefanov

Range is entirely dependent on the RF noise floor were you are working and line of site.

If the noise increases 10 dB when the RX antenna is attached to the receiver then there will be no increase in range due to the new hardware. If there is no increase in the noise floor the the new RX can double the range if you compare QRX100 in dual mode to QRX200/235 in dual mode. 

The new modulation will always produce a increase in range or fewer dropouts as it is more like doubleing the transmitters power output.

Here is the measured difference between the OLD and the NEW.

Hardware advantage

New RX hardware        =  +5 dB 

Dual mode difference   =  +4dB

Software advantage

New Modulation            = +4.5 dB

Adding 9 dB will double the distance of any radio system.

Glenn

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify...

None of what I said in my previous post was a criticism of the QRX200. I'm just reporting my findings in my first use of the new system.

I like these receivers and look forward to a great future with them. What Glenn stated makes total sense to me. During yesterday's shoot we were in a large house with dozens of people moving about,:upstairs, downstairs, inside, and out.

Using 900 systems in locations such as major stadiums, I've had success over some really large distances and I imagine these new systems will fare well in such circumstances.

One of the great levelers in wireless use is when obstructions and multipath signals come into play. Intersecting bodies absorb a lot of RF energy, and walls, doors, metal, and lots of production equipment make for some difficult, and unpredictable, circumstances.

FWIW, most of the transmitters were 50mW, with only one having the benefit of Power Roll. I'll soon be using more of the higher powered units.

My use yesterday was in no way a definitive comparison between the RX900 and QRX200, it was just some comments based on my initial results under wildly varying conditions. Overall, I'm a happy camper.

Is the performance improvement in single mode  as much as I expected? NOT REALLY in the BAG but definitely on the cart with sharkfins.

Is the performance improvement in dual mode  as much as I expected? Almost. Great improvement that would allow me to carry a smaller bag.

Should you expect miracles? NO

Is it better then qrx100? YES

Is the upgrade a good idea? YES ...

It might not be as mind blowing as Zaxcom's video but still is better then before.

I was happy with Zaxcom even before the XR software modulation upgrade and the qrx200.

so any improvement is good in my book.

That's kind of unfortunate. I wonder what is happening here since range increases was where it was supposed to shine.

Zack : " Can you give details why? "

Glen has already said why, no further details (they are rather technical) needed...

JB: " I don't think I've ever seen any Zaxcom whip antennas cut close to their published sizes. "

there is way too much concern given to this, as reception differences (<1dB) are barely, if at all, perceptible...

I get better performance using my QRX100 with rfmulfi vs. the supplied whips.

I see a substantial improvement using Lectro SNA600 antennae over whips on my QRX100. It just seems like the QRX100 doesn't like whips.

The QRX200, on the other hand, seems to be performing like a champ on whips. Still, I look forward to a new wideband antenna combiner/amp system like the MicPlexer.

Mark O.

I see a substantial improvement using Lectro SNA600 antennae over whips on my QRX100. It just seems like the QRX100 doesn't like whips.

The QRX200, on the other hand, seems to be performing like a champ on whips. Still, I look forward to a new wideband antenna combiner/amp system like the MicPlexer.

Mark O.

Mark, What firmware do you have on your qrx200? Also how do you find dual mode?

Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead. I don't have any QRX200. I was just responding to what seems like a much improved performance using whips, compared to QRX100, based on what I've read in this thread.

My QRX100 we're never that great with whips, but are very good with SNA600. I'm not using the XR modulation yet, either.

Mark O.

Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead. I don't have any QRX200. I was just responding to what seems like a much improved performance using whips, compared to QRX100, based on what I've read in this thread.

My QRX100 we're never that great with whips, but are very good with SNA600. I'm not using the XR modulation yet, either.

Mark O.

I have noticed almost identical scans when comparing a qrx100 with whips vs sna600 in nearly the same position as the whips, but noticed a difference when bringing the antennas up above the bag. my point being, mark, you may be noticing the difference in antenna position more than difference in antenna.

sounds like my observations don't apply to your situation.

I remember Rado saying in another post how positioning the antennae up and out of the bag improved performance. I expected I would have to do the same, but have been pleasantly surprised how well they work in-bag.

Mark O.

I guess my confusion is how the old models seem to be behaving similar in range to the new QRX200 in whatever environment. I thought the example of "Hudson River Range" was to show how the new QRX200 outperformed other models IN heavy RF environments.

I get better performance using my QRX100 with rfmulfi vs. the supplied whips.

Are you using XR on the TRX900s w/ v3.x on the QRXs? Also, what flavor of TRX are you using (NC vs LT vs LA vs AA)?

I guess my confusion is how the old models seem to be behaving similar in range to the new QRX200 in whatever environment. I thought the example of "Hudson River Range" was to show how the new QRX200 outperformed other models IN heavy RF environments.

This is also my concern. I don't think anybody has used LA2s w/ 200s yet and I'm holding out hope that this will be where range will be significantly improved upon in single mode vs. QRX100 w/ TRX900LA

On the other hand, I can now see a clear advantage for hanging onto QRX100s vs 200s if your bag has a mix of blocks and you are invested in a wideband distro.

As of now, the 200 series is limited to use with a micplexer in a specified block, so it nullifies any wideband advantages you would have if you are in a situation where remoting the antenna is your best bet.

Does the QRX 200 have stable firmware available yet? Following the Zax forums it seems like there were a lot of rapid fire firmware revisions in the last few weeks. Maybe when you guys submit your field reports here you should specify the firmware on everything. I agree, exact transmitter model numbers, RF power setting is also useful for those of us watching from the sidelines. 

Thanks,

DH

Does the QRX 200 have stable firmware available yet? Following the Zax forums it seems like there were a lot of rapid fire firmware revisions in the last few weeks. Maybe when you guys submit your field reports here you should specify the firmware on everything. I agree, exact transmitter model numbers, RF power setting is also useful for those of us watching from the sidelines.

Thanks,

DH

+1. The more precise the better. Maybe we should be considering adding those type of details in our signature? Would save the expected follow up questions and avoids thread confusion and crosstalk.

Couldn't help myself

Insects have antennae, sound people have antennas.

Regards,

Jim Rillie

Interesting Jim, never considered that...although from what I know they unfortunately work nothing a like. Unless we don't yet know enough about them yet, maybe they function as old factory sensory organs and 10−6 Hz µHz microhertz transmitter/ diversity receivers lol.