Stage hopping......

old school

To their credit, or cause for confusion, it has been in the 80's this week on the coastal plane, but this was the high desert. The look on their faces will stay with me for I hope for a long time. Seems to me it is the little things that keep me going on 16 hr days. Also thanks to JW for this site for me to spend my days at work looking busy.

CrewC

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same kind of thing happened to me last year in Charleston Sc. It was November but it was about 85 and we were shooting inside a old baptist church with no A/C. The network and agency people show up right from the airport in turtle necks, boots and big coats. They said "We never checked the weather before we left we figured it was 15 degrees here too". So we sent them to Walmart and everyone was happy.

• 2 months later...

I worked at MGM, I mean Sony the last couple of days, stage 29. Last night on the way home I got a call from my brother Moe who was doing a small webisode thing with my youngest son Cole. It was his 1st day as a boom op. They were going to be on stage 9 today at Sony. I can't begin to express how cool it was to stage hop them and vise versa today.

CrewC

• 1 month later...

What a stage hopping week I had last week. Monday I was at Paramount. Tues was Malibu,, not a stage, but where above the line folks live. Wed, Thur, Friday at Warner Bros. Like Paramount,, not a company shooting other than ours. Saturday and Sunday I was at Sony doing playback with Gary Gossett mixing. That would of been a blast if it wasn't for the fact both days were 17 hours long. Two mixers and 2 video monkeys,, what a 695 cluster. No one on the Sony lot other than our company. Hope that changes soon, it's hard to stage hop alone.

CrewC

post-7-130815080884_thumb.jpg

I'll be at CBS Radford Wed-Fri on a short for a friend who is a stand-in on "CSI:NY" - I think "Greek" in in production there, but everything else is down.

I was in Downtown on Saturday sitting in for a few hours for a mixer - base camp at The Standard.  First time I've been at that corner on a weekend and not seen at least one other company.

Robert

Well, just so you LA guys don't feel too lonely--I was by the main grip/electric house in the SF area a few days ago.....an awful lot of trucks just sitting on their lot.....  I think we have one pilot ("Parenthood") for a little while longer (which I'm not on) and a very few spots (got a couple of those).  The local stuff has gone way dinky or gone away.  Tmw I'm doing some audio only interviews for podcasts for a non-profit, and glad to have that.  Crew--I'm glad to see you working because I know that as far as commercials go, when you are way slow it means that it's really dead for the rest of us!

Philip Perkins

Philip, I have been lucky so far this year and I'm doing well and I am grateful. I always hesitate to post stuff about Marydixie n I working when others are not, but this is what this thread and site are about. Thats MD walking towards the camera in the Warner Brothers shot.

Robert, I was downtown 3 weeks ago and we were the only company as far as I could tell. What a difference a year makes when downtown was a zoo full of companys all over the place.

CrewC

• 2 weeks later...

We were visited today on stage 30 by Shawn Holden and Bob Jackson who had just finished an American version of "Death at a Funeral" a well done English comedy from a few years ago. I have known Bob for some time, but I had never met Shawn before. She is a wonderful woman and quite the mixer from what I hear. If you want to see a major league boom resume, check out Robert Jackson. They got to our stage just as we broke for lunch  so we invited them to join us. What a nice treat this was. The director had hired a jazz trio to play for us as we ate a top end meal from 'Off the Shelf', the best commercial caterer in Hollywood. Fun conversations and war stories.... I wish all days could be this great. What it usually means is some shitty days are in my future. Oh well, this one was good.

CrewC

Well, just so you LA guys don't feel too lonely--I was by the main grip/electric house in the SF area a few days ago.....an awful lot of trucks just sitting on their lot.....  I think we have one pilot ("Parenthood") for a little while longer (which I'm not on) and a very few spots (got a couple of those).  The local stuff has gone way dinky or gone away.  Tmw I'm doing some audio only interviews for podcasts for a non-profit, and glad to have that.  Crew--I'm glad to see you working because I know that as far as commercials go, when you are way slow it means that it's really dead for the rest of us!

Philip Perkins

Absolutely right.  "Parenthood" was across the East Bay (Berkeley, Oakland).  I'm unsure who the sound mixer was/is, but I saw a spot trailer (the DGA trainee sent me) for it last week and it turned out well.

My friend Ron Wright was the boom guy on "Parenthood".  You could probably see him from across the East Bay, as he is GIGANTIC!    Don't remember who he was with on that project.

Robert

If he's the same Ron Wright from Chicago that I knew years ago please say hello to him for me.

Eric

• 3 months later...

I was on a road trip of a commercial this week during our heat wave. Thursday started at 6:30 am Long Beach. Company move to the Convention Center Downtown, then to a street scene in beautiful downtown Burbank in the Valley. Today was even more driving. All this as the temp rose to 107 both days. Thursday was the day Richard Ragon was going to stage/set hop over to meet me. He got there at the very moment we wrapped earlier than expected. I felt bad about this even though I always feel good when we wrap early. We are going to try again soon.

I ran into Bruce Perlman today. I really like seeing old friends and peers and meeting new ones in my work a day world. Have a great week end with your friends, family, peers....

CrewC

Working at Sony all week on stage which is good seeing as LA is as hot as hell and just as smokey. "The Green Hornet" is shooting on many of the stages here and this is how I got to hop over and meet John Pritchett, and his long time boom man David Roberts. Great guys who do many of the top films these days. The stage they are on is a block long. The whole operation is Major Motion Picture. Even though John n David n I have many mutual friends, this was my 1st face to face with these guys. It really made my day. Thanks.

CrewC

• 3 months later...

Even though I live 30 miles south of LA and at the edge of the shooting zone, very few shoots visit us in Fullerton, so I was happy to see a company landed in the parking lot of my local hardware store. I had the day off and was repairing some of my gear and as always, I needed something I didn't have. I walked in and saw an Art Dept buddy and he told me the main company was shooting 2 blocks from Casa de CrewC. I went by to say hey and ran into BobD who was with his boom op Mike doing the gig. Great to visit with them, and wish I had some more time to hang out, but these are very busy days in commercial world and I needed to make the most of my one day off. Not really stage hopping, more of a set hop, but I do enjoy visiting other sound crews. Thanks Bob n Mike for being good hosts. Later.

CrewC

I also saw BobD's  new Yamaha mixer and he is happy as can be with it. It fits nice on his rig. Even though we all do the same job, there are many cool tools to let us do it our own way.

Thanks Crew, great seeing you as well... A nice surprise to be sure....  Surprised you had a day off...  It's crazy busy out there .....  rest while you can till Xmas...  You have a nice neighborhood... B

Not really stage hopping, more of a set hop, but I do enjoy visiting other sound crews. Thanks Bob n Mike for being good hosts. Later.

CrewC

I think we can safely say this IS "stage hopping" ("All the world's a stage, and we are...") and I love to hear these things. It further reinforces our community of movie-makers, gives us all a chance to share in  each other's work, the good, the bad, and so forth. I am sure it was nice for Crew to see BobD with the Yamaha, it is always beneficial, I believe, to broaden our own horizons by watching others. I agree with Crew's observation that we all do the same work, and how interesting it is that the work can be approached in so many different ways.

Best regards to all,

-  Jeff Wexler

Speaking of stage hopping, I'm going to be in Norco California to meet my son's girlfriend's parents.  We won't have a lot of time out there just two full days.  His girlfriend Kelli used to work as a background player on a number of tv shows including Entourage and is planning on showing us the typical Hollywood sights.  Walk of fame ect.  If you have anything going that we could visit or have recommendations for "must see" or "must do" please chime in.  We will be there on December 15th and 16th.

Thanks all!

Bernie

I did a promo yesterday at Culver Studios.  Met face-to-face a Facebook friend and fellow mixer, Jon Ailetcher.  Unfortunately it was a crazy day with very little down time.  I even had to bug out for a couple of hours around lunch to finish my jury duty obligation, so I didn't get to visit his set on "Cougartown", nor did I get to stop by and see some old friends at "Scrubs".  We worked late, and everyone was gone by the time we were done.

Very sad.

Speaking of stage hopping, I'm going to be in Norco California to meet my son's girlfriend's parents.  We won't have a lot of time out there just two full days.  His girlfriend Kelli used to work as a background player on a number of tv shows including Entourage and is planning on showing us the typical Hollywood sights.  Walk of fame ect.  If you have anything going that we could visit or have recommendations for "must see" or "must do" please chime in.  We will be there on December 15th and 16th.

Thanks all!

Bernie

Bump

• 5 months later...

I wasn't stage hopping this weekend as much as I was 'Rice Bowl' hopping as I worked on a film's additional shooting. It was a Big Budget, Major Studio deal that was all 1st unit work. What made it fun for me was not the work as much as seeing some old friends from the old days and working w a good friend, Don Coufal, who worked his ass off and made it all look so easy. Great treat even if we did a 18 hr. day. Don is the Man. All work, no complaining, and we had some fun. Big fan of the man called Coufal. Thanks.

CrewC