"rain" protection

jason porter

I have a shoot coming up where I may potentially be dumped on by a water bomber. Yes, a water bomber. All the necessary safety precautions are being taken care of, I have worked for this company for years and they are very safe and responsible.

Can anyone vouch for the Petrol Rain Poncho? My main concern is how well I can operate the gear with it on.

Thanks Mike,

I will see what is available at my local shop.

My plan is to just throw a plastic bag over the zeppelin and tie it off. The cameraman has done this before ( on a lake , in a small metal boat) and said it was an amazing experience. The downpour lasts about 20 seconds!

Well I bought a Sound Slicker some time ago at it works well.

I guess you boom mike is the real problem???

mike

The Remote "Rain Man" has worked well for me (as long as the mic is pointed down!),  but you'll still hear the impact of the water on the cover.  To get unaffected audio off the boom it seems like you'd need a big wide cover with a whole lot of hogs hair etc on it, like a very heavy duty umbrella etc.   The petrol pancho will ok for you and the rest of the stuff (if you're bagging it).  Better would be to get under something….

philp

http://vimeo.com/m/62953163

Not sure if this will be blocked or not...but this is similar to what will happen (within the first 10-15 seconds)

I'm not worried about what happens sonically, to the boom, just protecting it. As a matter of fact, I am planning on getting as far away as possible from the falling water. There probably isn't any need for me to even be there, but ...just in case.

I have one of the older Petrol ponchos and used it in some torrential rainfalls. Gear and I stayed dry. As with any wet weather gear not the easiest to operate under. All the usual pitfalls. I use the apron style petrol most  of the times but the poncho is a good investment. 

As far as a boom mic is concerned under a rain machine:

Hogs hair is pretty tried and true.  Best method I've encountered is to wrap the blimp with plastic wrap save for the end the mic points.  then cover with a wind sock and then hogs hair.  Try to always keep the blimp facing down when being used and not being used.  With the hogs hair I'd suggest "folding over" the end that is facing up (rear of the mic/blimp) to help with the water impact.

If you're not planing on being directly under the water, then the Remote Audio will probably suffice.  

Lastly - an un-cabled pole is ideal.  A cabled one might take on water and mess up your connections.

There is this stuff called "Rescue Tape" that only sticks to itself.  Use this over any XLR connectors and maybe any knuckles/openings on the boom pole.