Kudos to the members of the board - back with kinda good news

TheBlimp

Hello folks,

just wanted to share a few things. I learned a ton form this board and have been away for almost a year, getting my diploma (media design) and finishing my little documentary movie. It's been a super stressful time, but it seems like it all paid off.

I'm a bit baffled, but I've kinda built myself a repuation locally, at least that's how it feels... since I keep receiving inquiries from production companies all across the country, and when they're shooting in my area, I'm the first guy they call. When I ask how they found me (as I still haven't managed to build that darn little website), the usual answer is "you were recommended to us". Woah.

What I learned from jwsound's members is so valuable to me, like: decline cheapskates, invest in your gear, ask questions about shooting style & schedules, be overprepared, work out a bit, shape up your social skills, and don't underestimate your role in the production. Over the last few weeks, I've worked on B2B, doco for cinema, nationwide TV spots, restored messed up zoom-recorder interviews from the middle east, now I'm doing some dialogue editing... all kinds of stuff.

There's no way I would have gotten to where I'm at without all the insight I got from here. And I don't really mean to boast about my jobs or skills: I'm still at the stage of of starting out, self-teached, I don't know everything and I wet my pants with every new inquiry. But I'm getting better at things and people seem to notice. It just feels too good not to share.

When things go right, we have the best job in the world.

Anyway, thanks to everyone and peace.

Mike