Interview with Sound Recordist Mark Roberts

robertw

Mark Roberts is this gentleman: http://www.markroberts.hk/#&panel1-5

The interview was published today on a site called Designing Sound: http://designingsound.org/2014/03/an-interview-with-mark-roberts/

The interview is principally about how he got started, how he goes about recording dialogue and wild sound for natural history films, and experiences along the way.

Excellent.

Jesse: " I feel a shotgun is a more analogous firearm. "

I don't...

a shotgun is a wider spread, aka scatter-gun, and a rifle is more precise

I quite disagree with you Mr. Senator.  While the shotgun may not be nearly as precise as a rifle, the spray pattern, I believe, greatly resembles the pick up pattern of a "shotgun" mic a la MKH416:

Polar_pattern_SennMKH416.png

While shotgun mics are very directional, I hardly think the pinpoint accuracy of a rifle could be comparable.  Perhaps a parabolic mic could be the "rifle" mic?  Also, to continue the analogies, should an omni then be considered a "land mine" or "grenade" mic?

[snip]

While shotgun mics are very directional, I hardly think the pinpoint accuracy of a rifle could be comparable.  Perhaps a parabolic mic could be the "rifle" mic?  Also, to continue the analogies, should an omni then be considered a "land mine" or "grenade" mic?

Excellent.

Omni is a "grenade" mic and a boundary layer mic is a "land mine" mic.

Best,

Larry F

I like the term "rifle mic" on his site (though I feel a shotgun is a more analogous firearm). 

I believe that riffle mic is synonymous to shotgun in other parts of the world. I know I've seen a few mixers call it that, I just don't remember where they are from.

Well said guys the wonderful 816!

Did I hear supplied with a "pistol grip" in the old days?

mike

Had a shoot on the beach last week using my 816....wind broke the Rycotetip that attaches to the boom....Beast.Replaced it with an Ambienttip.Think that will work!Love the 816!

• 2 weeks later...