Sound Devices 633 Bags

walkhumongous

Hi Everyone, I'm looking into all the options for the SD 633. I need a light-weight simple doc kit and all I currently need is enough room to hold a couple 411's with corresponding transmitters, mics, small accessories, and hopefully an Anton battery (I'm actually a camera guy, so have them instead of NP-1).  Here's what looks like the options, but nothing is getting great independent reviews that I've seen/heard.

K-Tek Stingray- VERY CURIOUS TO HEAR REVIEWS from independent user because it's so new. Is it too big and heavy? Looks unnecessarily deep. Heard it's too rigid.  Know they're not really a bag company.

Porta Brace CS-633:   read some not-so-great things about build on JWSound, but curious to hear more. seems like the most compact option. People don't seem to be liking Porta Brace in general.

Kortwich- Seems to be missing some things (top cover, zippers, etc).  I don't know much about it.

Petrol PS-607-  tried it and returned it. too small and janky on the inside, no real separation between main compartments. couldn't fit my anton.

Petrol PS-601 Deca Eargonizer- curious about this one. little bit too much extra width on sides?  too heavy?  Interested to compare to Stingray.

Petrol seems the be the most loved bag maker. Too bad they don't yet have one designed specifically for the 633.

Thanks!!!

Stingray.  Not too big, heavy or deep.  Different manufacturers have different ideas regarding:

"Free access to all mixer panels; sides, back, and top" (Petrol 601)

K-Tek actually gives you that access and the rigid frame adds to the ease of plugging/unplugging cables.

Thank you for the welcome, and thanks for the input on the Stingray.  Sudiomprd, I actually have read everything on jwsoundgroup that I can find on all these bags. I have read a long lengthy review of the CS-633 that was negative in the end. This turned me away from what otherwise might be the first obvious choice. I purchased a 617 and was disappointed. I'd read a number of things talking about the Stingray positively, but mostly from K-tek people, also Facebooking with K-Tek to get as much info as possible, but have heard other mixed negative things on the bag.  The 601 was recommended by someone as a resort because the 617 is too small.  So yes, I would say I did take quite a few mintues to do some research :)  Now that the K-tek has been shipping for a week or two I figured it was time to get some more user reviews on it and compare to the other options available. Very happy to receive a solid rec on it from audiofp. hip hip.

• 2 weeks later...

The Stingray is awesome. It is a bit heavier than other bags, but this is because it is so rigid.

This is such a bonus, as there is no sag. Cables and battery distribution are neatly zipped away, sides and bottom fully accessible.

I've got my bag carrying 633, 4x411, 2x smda tx and NP1 BDS and it works really well

A few weeks ago I got the Stingray with the 633. My first impressions are really positive. 

Beforehand I was a bit worried that due to the size(tallness), the bag would be in the way when walking, but this is not the case. It fits very well around my 'athlete trapped in a writers body' belly with the petrol harness. 

The zippers, storage, handles and general layout of the bag works very well for me. Good job!

There is only one (minor) thing I have trouble understanding the benefits behind, and that is the rain cover. 

Maybe this is due to the fact that I come from a petrol bag that has one half the size...

We all once have asked ourselves the question, if size does matter, and I'm sure K-tek has thought about this too...

With velcro the cover can be removed entirely which in most cases is the way i'll use it. In case of rain it can be reattached if needed with plenty of space to get you hand under it to still play with the knobs. But here is my thing, I also like to protect/seal my bag with the cover in case i'm not working or traveling to protect it from dust, sand, rain and other dangerous substances alike. In this case I want the handles out but the cover closed. And this is were I have not yet found the benefits of such a large cover. There is a way to close it, but in that scenario one of the handles is blocked too. I've attached pictures to illustrate my point. It might be personal taste and I think with a bit of diy/sewing here and there it is easily customizable. If others have found better solutions to this 'problem' I'd love to hear it. 

All the best, 

Lucas

post-8292-0-16927900-1395663430_thumb.jp

post-8292-0-68155400-1395663438_thumb.jp

post-8292-0-98195200-1395663445_thumb.jp

one of the main reasons the clear cover is extra long with the stingray is so that you can have the antennas up on your receivers. with the petrol bags and their clear covers they don't have much room at all for the whips. in some ways, this can be a double edged sword. so in your case, you see it as a hinderance. in my case, on those days when there's a slight mist, its a bonus. 

straight up, i'm a beta tester for the ktek bag so you can take my words as they are. and one thing you should not think about is "ktek isn't really a bag company", they may not have made bags in the past, but they are now and doing it right in my opinion. by taking a looooot of user input and having real mixers test their bags and being open about it. you don't hear petrol or portabrace doing that. they make a bag and say, here, use this and deal with it.

So i'm a maxx user. i was using the small petrol. it was tight but i made it work. a lot of my jobs have me venturing far away from home base so there's usually a collection of goodies i need to have with me. with the petrol bag, i always had to rock my awesome fanny pack. although, another mixer has  mentioned he likes that way as it keeps his body balanced and less like a 9 month pregnant mother. in some ways, i agree. but for me, i prefer all my shit kind of in one place, 1 bag is easier to worry about than 2, when getting in and out of vehicles and stuff like that. so the stingray was exactly what i was looking for. its taller than the other bags, and for a reason. its narrower than other bags, because it doesn't have to be as wide(intended for maxx and 633). its more rigid than other bags, because we complained about flaccid sound bags all the time.

how i rock my bag, maxx, ear buds, 2-4 wireless(but can do 6), lav mics and accessories, IFB tx, sometimes 2 np1 batteries, snacks, additional batteries and occasionally an eng cable that conveniently clips to front of bag. so on game/race days, i can just deal with one bag, that isn't too heavy, and have all my tid bits along for the ride. i don't think the bag is overly heavy, empty its like 3.4lbs or something like that.

so thats my input.

The great thing about Kortwich is they will custom make anything to your specs! Be very specific - you will be amazed at all of the detail work that goes into a bag if you're not thinking about it. Get in touch, draw them some diagrams, and enjoy the bag you really want - if you haven't found it on the market yet.

• 5 years later...
On 3/24/2014 at 5:38 AM, Lucas said:

A few weeks ago I got the Stingray with the 633. My first impressions are really positive. 

Beforehand I was a bit worried that due to the size(tallness), the bag would be in the way when walking, but this is not the case. It fits very well around my 'athlete trapped in a writers body' belly with the petrol harness. 

The zippers, storage, handles and general layout of the bag works very well for me. Good job!

There is only one (minor) thing I have trouble understanding the benefits behind, and that is the rain cover. 

Maybe this is due to the fact that I come from a petrol bag that has one half the size...

We all once have asked ourselves the question, if size does matter, and I'm sure K-tek has thought about this too...

With velcro the cover can be removed entirely which in most cases is the way i'll use it. In case of rain it can be reattached if needed with plenty of space to get you hand under it to still play with the knobs. But here is my thing, I also like to protect/seal my bag with the cover in case i'm not working or traveling to protect it from dust, sand, rain and other dangerous substances alike. In this case I want the handles out but the cover closed. And this is were I have not yet found the benefits of such a large cover. There is a way to close it, but in that scenario one of the handles is blocked too. I've attached pictures to illustrate my point. It might be personal taste and I think with a bit of diy/sewing here and there it is easily customizable. If others have found better solutions to this 'problem' I'd love to hear it. 

All the best, 

Lucas

post-8292-0-16927900-1395663430_thumb.jp

post-8292-0-68155400-1395663438_thumb.jp

I just bought the extra "Stingray" Rain cover to go with mine. It costs $70 bucks but it works quite well, great access and easily portable.

I still keep the original rain cover folded in the pocket for unplanned emergencies but the extra one is best.    KSRB2 – K-Tek Rain Bib

I was using the PortaBrace bag that came with the 633 for a number of years as a sort of more compact and light weight option. I think it’s fine. There isn’t a lot of room for extra stuff, but the only thing I really didn’t like about it was that the left side of the mixer would always sag despite trying everything. It’s just the way the bag is sewn. Not a deal breaker though. 

85E39F24-28A3-4269-AD38-37125F3F129E.jpeg