New Lectrosonics Frequency Blocks

FYI, LSC has just recieved its first shippment of the new Lectro UM400a/UCR411a systems on blocks; Blk 19 (485-512) and Blk 20 (512-542). Blk 470 (470-482) should also be here shortly. We also have SMA transmitters now on 19 and 20. 

give us a call if your interested.

Steve J.

(818)980-9891 x302

• 2 weeks later...

Mark,

Block 470 has TV 15 completely open but LAPD sitting right next to it on TV14. So, in LA at least, its pretty good as long as you stay off of 14 and not mess with the man. Block 20 has currently one channel open (TV21) and a San Bernadino station (KVCR) that probably wont give you much trouble on TV24. Block 19 currently has two open TV channels (17 and 19), also bracketed by LAPD channels and is, on paper at least the winner. However, a scan here at the LSC world headquarters actually showed more open space available with the block 20 units. Go figure. Our Rental Dept. is buying big in both 19 and 20. They like them both. Since Block 470 is only 12MHz wide, we are initially staying away from it for our rental stock so, it might be a good place for end-users to be for just that reason.

Hope this helps

Steve J.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Haven't tried Block 20 in the NYC area but did use 19's for a few months a little over a year ago.  We weren't shooting inNYC , but out in Newark and the Northern NJ area.  Generally speaking 19 was fine but did have a lot of gack across the bottom on every scan.  No more than a 1/4 of the way up on any scan.  There were times when we were right across the river from Manhattan and we never had a problem.  These scans were on both 411 and  SR rx's.  I would guess that 19 is useable but maybe not ideal compared to some other blocks.

I would also also have to disagree with Rich about blk 21 in NY.  It has become very crowded latlely, and finding clear frequencies has been tricky.  Even in the outer boroughs.  Not just in Manhattan.  21 is fine if you're only using a few freqs.  The current show I'm on we're using these as our hops, and have had some trouble finding useable freqs for up to 6 cameras.  Some days the middle section has been wide open and other times the scans are full to atleast halfway up on the graph.  Our only saving grace is that we've been shooting inside most of the time allowing our tx's to overpower any other interference in the area.  And the fact that cam ops are actually being responsible and wearing their earpieces to monitor the audio feed.

And block 26 has been great in NYC.  27 was as well until the FFC bs.  Technically it's clear, but a use at your own as risk.  The legal freqs are jammed up with a lot of gack.

J Hemmerlin

Everyone is just looking for that magic block!

That magic block will never exist in NYC.  And I would say any another other major cities through out the world.  They're always going to change and as people get word that one block works better than everyone will move to that black and then another block will be better and everyone will go for that one etc...

I remember my first lectro i bought.  A blk 26 411 w/ UM400.  I would scan and the blk would be wide open anywhere I went.  Now I can count on there being about a 1/4 of the blk 26 spectrum being unusable at any given time within NYC area.  But it never seems to be based on any particular place or time.  It just changes seemingly on a day to day basis.

I've gone for the idea that having some diversity (no pun intended) in my wireless choices is going to be the safest thing.

• 1 month later...

My first Lectro worked on one frequency!

I did a job almost two years ago and it was one of those "you will be using our kit" things. I showed up, and saw that the kit was a Shure FP-32 mixer with Lectro fixed frequency wireless mics (one plug-on and one bodypack). I never thought I would be using that gear in 2008.

Of course it worked fine, even though we were in a baseball stadium during playoffs, so there had to be a ton of RF around.

I did a job almost two years ago and it was one of those "you will be using our kit" things. I showed up, and saw that the kit was a Shure FP-32 mixer with Lectro fixed frequency wireless mics (one plug-on and one bodypack). I never thought I would be using that gear in 2008.

Of course it worked fine, even though we were in a baseball stadium during playoffs, so there had to be a ton of RF around.

Ha!  Through most of my career we ONLY had fixed freq wireless.  You paid your money and you took your chances!   VHF Hi-band!  BIG antennas!  BIG RX!

phil p