FR-2 Record switch

RJBerto

I have an old FR2 that was giving me problems going into record the last time I used it. 5 or 6 years ago I was using a friends FR-2 and the record switch broke while in my possession, I remember taking it to Coffey Sound and the repair being $300-something.

I have the next few days off, so I was thinking of taking it apart and having a look. Anyone been there/done that? Any gotchas to pay attention to?

I don't know your degree of mechanical proficiency, but if I may advise....  there is definitely something "springy" in there.

I have been inside many a machine, but my gut feeling told me "NO" this time.   I think I paid just around that including shipping.

I sent mine off awhile back, and all I can say is it came back better than it ever was - I had them detail it, tweak it, and I think a few new connectors too.  When it came back I had total confidence in it, and to date has been a real trooper -

the confidence alone in using it is worth the $$$.  And I bill $65 / day for it when it comes out - I recovered the cost in 5 days and it's been all gravy since...

All I can say is it might be safer to hire a professional ...FWIW, Gotham has THE ex-Fostex primary tech on their team, at last check, though it's been awhile for me.   I've forgotten the name.   He did a great job refurbing mine. 

And of course, there is ALWAYS Dave White at DWSound Services - he's done some great work for me and several others on this group for a good while now.

Keep it going - it's a great machine for what it does, and often just what I need for some jobs that come to me with budgetary limits.

MF

I took it apart. Never was able to get the face plate off... there's a connector that looks like it needs to be desoldered to get it off. Good news is that after getting it back together the record switch seems to function ok.

I'll take your recommendations and contact David and see what he thinks.

Just wondering if anyone had managed to repair the headphone amp in the FR2? Mine has been broken for a couple of years, I built an external one, but it's a bit of a hassle to use. I don't use the FR2 for my primary recorder, but would be nice to have it working for odd jobs,

cheers,

Jack