Sound kit upgrade advice

justindfox

Hello everyone! I'm a fairly new sound mixer that's been working for roughly two years now and I'm looking to upgrade my kit lately. Currently I'm using a Tascam DR-680 with two Sennheiser G3's. I'm looking to upgrade to a small kit (Possibly 633,664, or the Nomad). Then I was hoping I could get advice on what direction I should go wireless wise? It seems like these new Zaxcom 200 series would last me better in the long run. Looking to also be able to send signal to a two camera set up and also have signal going to scripty, director, producer, etc.

I'll save Mike the reply....

This question comes up 2 or 3 times a year ever since JW started the group. Some discussions were good, others... well, it would behoove you to search a bit to get your answer. It basically ends up being "Only you can make that decision".  I'd wait till after NAB to buy anything. The good news is you have some wonderful choices. Good luck.

CrewC

It seems like these new Zaxcom 200 series would last me better in the long run. Looking to also be able to send signal to a two camera set up and also have signal going to scripty, director, producer, etc.

If you want to go the Zaxcom wireless route than a nomad 10 becomes a no brainer. Nomad 10 will give you ZaxNet and you will have remote gain control, have the ability to remotely change frequency, remote roll control of the transmitters and timecode distribution.

Plus ZaxNet will let you send audio to ERX's for personal monitoring. And have the ability to use the ERX for TC distribution.

Hard to recommend anything without a budget, so I'll put 2 options out there:

1) Nomad 10 w/ QRX200, 2x TRX900LA2, and 3 ERX ($10,775) - You have now added 2 wireless channels w/ time code, 3 timecode box/IFB/camera hop, Zaxnet possibilities, wide band switchable TX/RX + nerd bragging rights

2) 633 w/ SRb, 2x SMQv, Comtek 216 TX and 3 RX ($9,815) - You have now added 2 wireless channels, time code, 3 IFB

This illustrates that Zaxnet does really save you money on peripherals and has a really well thought out and versatile feature set, but has the steepest cost barrier for entry.

The 633 package is more than capable and in a smaller form factor if you don't need all the bells and whistles.

Of course, I would check consignment and used sales for a deal. People have been unloading some awesome SD mixers since the 633 release and more than a few Zaxcom QRX100s and RX900s are popping up as folks are upgrading.

Above all else, please rent before you buy or at least ask your local dealer for a demo just to see what feels right for you.

My gut feeling is that you're not sure what your new kit should be able to do.

What market are you aiming at? Reality, feature, corporate, ENG, commercials, ...? This determines the number of wireless channels you need, and that determines that you need at least two more inputs. The market also determines output requirements (number and versatility) and so on.

"1) Nomad 10 w/ QRX200, 2x TRX900LA2, and 3 ERX ($10,775) - You have now added 2 wireless channels w/ time code, 3 timecode box/IFB/camera hop, Zaxnet possibilities, wide band switchable TX/RX + nerd bragging rights "

This would be a great package to start with. The current wireless transmitter you would purchase is the TRXLA.2.5.  (4 block tuning range)

Nerd bragging rights include. Transmitter pack recording, wireless transmitter remote control, Integrated time code slate. wireless timecode distribution system, all digital sound bag, Neverclip, MARF  file security  with FAT32 delivery and noticeable improvement in both IFB and recorded sound quality. 

It is good to be a nerd. 

Glenn