Lectro block 23 outside USA

soundpod

Im wondering if it is possible for lectro users outside the USA to have full access to the frequencies on block 23?

Im thinking it may just be a change of firmware. And with the squeeze in frequencies we are about to experience, the more Frequencies to play with the better.

You have to have an authorized dealer (like Raycom) unlock the frequencies. It's not hard to do, and the fee should be small.

Most countries, including the US, reserve those frequencies for radio astronomy. So unless you're in the UK, I'm not sure you can get them unlocked.

Interesting...

From my reading of the frequency charts here in australia, the frequencies are available. Radio Astronomy is listed as a secondary user, covering all of our radio blocks, therefore the situation is the same for all blocks. So those frequencies are available for us.

But our local seller has advised that lectro cannot make it available. Therefore I'm after a second opinion.

Raycom are unable to unlock blk23 on us based equipment (due to FCC rules even though the hardware is capable). However they can sell you new Euro blk23 kit. Frustrating I know but them seem to be the rules.

That's curious. Must have changed since I last asked about 6 months ago, or so.

Here's the response I got from Lectro, I'll quote from the email

Hello, I forwarded your question to my service manager, and this is what was passed on to me:

Clarification on unblocked 23 -

1.  No transmitters bearing FCC markings can have the block 23 unblocked - that means the UM400a, HH, HM, WM, LMa, SMV and SMQV - the restrictions have been tightened on those units.

2. The E01 export transmitter models have 23 unlocked. 

a. The SM /E01 series transmitters (SMDB/E01 and SMB/E01) can be enabled for higher power levels and US deviation using the factory yes tone.

b. The HM/E01 and HH/E01 cannot be enabled for higher power levels or US deviation. There is no provision for doing so, they ar designed with fixed power.

So, unfortunately, if your existing equipment is of the US version then no, it is not possible to enable the TV37 range of frequencies.  It is also not possible to convert an existing US version to an E01 export model.  However, should you decide to try and swap those out or purchase new, then get the SMB/E01 or SMDB/E01 transmitters and the SRB/E01 receivers, and so on.

• 2 years later...

In the American Hemisphere - 608 to 614Mhz are reserved for radio astronomy.  For units authorized by the FCC (US units) or ICE (Canada) we cannot open the transmitter for those frequencies.  For the export units, yes, 608-614 can be opened up - but the units may not have the FCC or ICE markings.  It's a government thing - not a hardware thing.  It is the equivalent of having TV channel 37 occupied by a TV station broadcast.   In my dreams, I envision a world with unified spectrum allocations but alas, it is not to be.........  so, for block 23, the usable spectrum gives you 19.6Mhz of available freqs instead of 25.6Mhz. 

Thanks Gordon.

I love how Lectro reps almost immediately answer all the questions on this forum. What a fantastic company!

I'm relieved to know that a good chunk of block 23 is still available in the US as I just invested in some B1 gear. And Gordon, since you're listening, I would hands down buy some wideband SMQV's even if they could only do 100mW.

16 minutes ago, BAB414 said:

And Gordon, since you're listening, I would hands down buy some wideband SMQV's even if they could only do 100mW.

We wait with bated breath for the FCC clarification  - then we will know what next on that front!  Unfortunately, we don't expect an answer until around June (which will be here before we know it)  

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2014 at 4:49 PM, soundpod said:

Interesting...

From my reading of the frequency charts here in australia, the frequencies are available. Radio Astronomy is listed as a secondary user, covering all of our radio blocks, therefore the situation is the same for all blocks. So those frequencies are available for us.

But our local seller has advised that lectro cannot make it available. Therefore I'm after a second opinion.

I'm not sure that is correct - I'm pretty certain we open the block 23 for the Australian authorized units.  Now, if your dealer is bringing in US units, then the answer remains no.  I'll look into the Australian authorized models about the block 23 and get back to you with a definitive answer.

9 hours ago, BAB414 said:

I love how Lectro reps almost immediately answer all the questions on this forum. What a fantastic company!

Not just any rep, but the top rep, aka the president!

I'd say that we're very fortunate to have the top reps for many of the brands we use here on these forums and on FB.