how to get a channel to bypass the recorder on Sound Devices 552

FirdEist88

I don't know if this is weird, but bear with me.. what I wanna do is get one of the 5 channels to bypass the 552 recorder so that I can record it into a H4N.. I'm doing this because I have 2 wireless and a boom track.. I wanna have 3 separate tracks and my idea is to record the boom track into the H4N.. also to save the zoom's battery life by avoiding the use of phantom power.. my knowledge of the 552 is pretty limited cause I'm kinda new to it.. anyone have any idea on how to do this? And any other suggestions?

Matt.. H4N does not accept line level.

FirdEist88 : this is not a safe setup, if I were you, I would just record a two tracks back up on the SD552 : recording in location is also mixing ! Zoom is not recommended as a main recorder, especially the H4n. You can do a very good job with "just" a SD552.

Hey matt.. you mean the TA3's direct output right? On the left panel?

Yes.

Matt.. H4N does not accept line level.

FirdEist88 : this is not a safe setup, if I were you, I would just record a two tracks back up on the SD552 : recording in location is also mixing ! Zoom is not recommended as a main recorder, especially the H4n. You can do a very good job with "just" a SD552.

Hmm, didn't know that, but I think I have held the H4n a total of two times.  Just trying to avoid bad mic preamps. 

So, set the Direct Outs on the 552 for mic level in the 552 menu.

I don't know if this is weird, but bear with me.. what I wanna do is get one of the 5 channels to bypass the 552 recorder so that I can record it into a H4N.. I'm doing this because I have 2 wireless and a boom track.. I wanna have 3 separate tracks and my idea is to record the boom track into the H4N.. also to save the zoom's battery life by avoiding the use of phantom power.. my knowledge of the 552 is pretty limited cause I'm kinda new to it.. anyone have any idea on how to do this? And any other suggestions?

Remember that you need to sync everything up in post, without having time code stamped files from the Zoom. That can be a bitch and the director usually don't want to wait for that when checking the recorded material.

My suggestion is to use the 552 as main recorder running the same time code as the camera, recording the boom on channel 1 and a mix of the two lavs on channel 2. If you mix the lavs live you will be perfectly fine, just listen to what's happening and you will be able to kill the lav not being used at the moment. And when you're not using the boom, pan one of the lavs to channel 1.

This way the editors will have a working mix with the right time code to start editing from right away and you know that it works because you have listened to it in your headphones during the shoot.

Also, make sure to record a mono or stereo mix in the camera, for reference.

Then as a bonus, use the direct outs from the 552 and send the two lavs to the Zoom recorder. Later in the post you will be able to find and match the position of the recording more easily because of the lav mix on the 552. And salvage sound bites that you missed during the shoot.

Even if you're recording a show with just two persons on lavs, never underestimate the boom channel. It's you're best friend when unscripted stuff happens.

Good luck

Fred

My suggestion is to use the 552 as main recorder running the same time code as the camera, recording the boom on channel 1 and a mix of the two lavs on channel 2. ....

Then as a bonus, use the direct outs from the 552 and send the two lavs to the Zoom recorder. Later in the post you will be able to find and match the position of the recording more easily because of the lav mix on the 552. And salvage sound bites that you missed during the shoot.

+1 for this. One of my clients has a Zoom H4n they want me to use for mp3 recording on their jobs (panel discussions posted immediately to the web) and I've had no problem with Balanced TA3F to TRS Jack connectors plugged into the xlr/trs combi connectors on the H4n at line level. I suspect if you went in on the XLRs the gain structure may be different.

Cheers,

nick

The 1/4" inputs on the H4n are unbalanced @ -10dB (nominal), so a SD's 'Tapeout' should work. The SD's direct outs are however +4dB. I recall the maximum line input level for the H4n is around +2dBm. A typical +4dB signal can have peaks approaching +20dB. Do the math. Furthermore, the H4n XLR inputs are mic level only.

I use the H4N a lot with a 442 and send a mic level signal to the 1/8" external mic in on the back. Keep H4N levels low and use your 552 for everything else. You'll need a TA3 to 1/8" though and make sure the direct out on your 552 is set to mic level.

I use the H4N a lot with a 442 and send a mic level signal to the 1/8" external mic in on the back. Keep H4N levels low and use your 552 for everything else. You'll need a TA3 to 1/8" though and make sure the direct out on your 552 is set to mic level.

Wouldn't running mic level signal to the H4n negate one of the biggest reasons for using an external mixer? I'd imagine the noise floor would be much higher compared to Line level.

Maybe in theory... But because you're using the 442s gain, phantom, low cut, and limiter- you don't apply those low quality options on the h4n... Which is when the h4n becomes noisy with the pres cranked etc. Obviously there are better quality options if you have the money, but this works for our clients... Which is mostly web based promo videos etc. Ill post our latest video when it's finished if interested.