Kortwich for Sound Devices 633 (and for me a 7 Series Recorder)

robertw

After looking at Porta Brace, Petrol and Kortwich, I purchased a Kortwich today for my 702T. And while Kortwich makes bags specifically for 7 Series recorders, I actually got the bag that they're making for the new Sound Devices 633. For my purposes, I liked the slightly larger dimensions.

The Kortwich is more expensive, but is in my view worth the money. It is extremely well made and designed. The price in Euros for the bag works out to USD400. However, I believe that the Euro price includes about 20% VAT. On the other hand, my New York dealer has shipping from Germany to take into account. In any event, I paid somewhat less than $400.

The bag model is 800633.1 and specs/photos are here: http://www.filmtontechnik.de/608.html

Unfortunately, I was unable to try the new K-Tek bag for the 633 (the Stingray) as it has just come on the market and was back ordered. However, the Kortwich suits my needs, while being quite a bit lighter as well as less bulky, and the price was not far off the price of the Stingray ($330). So I decided to go with it. For others, the Stingray (or for that matter a Porta Brace or Petrol) may of course be more suitable.

I checked out this bag in person last week, and was turned off due to there being no velcro in the large compartment for where the Rx would usually go, and they didn't use the dual waste clip belt system, just the single belt loop idea which allows the bag to dip away oddly.  I do like their bags and have been trying to get something better tailored for a compact 633 bag, but depending how the Ktek waste system turns out for the Stingray, I might go with that instead of a $500+ custom Kort bag.  

I checked out this bag in person last week, and was turned off due to there being no velcro in the large compartment for where the Rx would usually go, and they didn't use the dual waste clip belt system, just the single belt loop idea which allows the bag to dip away oddly. I do like their bags and have been trying to get something better tailored for a compact 633 bag, but depending how the Ktek waste system turns out for the Stingray, I might go with that instead of a $500+ custom Kort bag.

It's worth looking at the weight difference, although this may depend on configuration.

The Kortwich is 1.9 lbs (860g) and the Stingray is apparently 3.5 lbs (1.6kg).

Plus, not surprisingly, the Stingray is bigger,

For me, these factors, having regard to my needs, as well as the Kortwich build quality, led me to make a decision in favour of the Kortwich on the spot (and I repeat, without seeing the Stingray), but others may find other considerations more important.

I too am becoming a kortwich customer. Still have porta brace/ petrol bags!  Don't overlook that (Kortwich) will work with you in custom design of bag. 

We are very lucky in that small niche companies work with us for a design we like! 

JHW

a $500+ custom Kort bag.  

I was quoted $700 + for a custom Kortwich 633 bagto lose the three ext. RX pockets on the outside, and wanted to make the outside a larger storage area. Weightwise, I don't want the added weight of the RX's that far from my body. That price seems a tad egregious for me.

I just used an old PortaBrace bag I had bought six years ago for a 744, and "re-purposed" it for a small shoot with the 633. Worked just great! Just enough size for 3 x 411's, the 633, and some batteries.

I found the best use of my PD-4 was to take the Portabrace case off of it and use it for my 664.  Not ideal, but it'll work until I find the right bag for it.

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

Well, I seem to have found the best option as for options/size/cost for me, around 440$. Waiting to hear from David about the ktek bag first.

Is that me? 

The price on the Stingray is $329. I'm pretty sure Trew in LA has some in stock since I asked them late last week. I'm not sure about our other dealers, so you'll have to call around. Most dealers sold out of their stock pretty quickly, but Trew LA ordered a BUNCH. We are still waiting for our next stock to arrive. 

You can check out the K-Tek facebook page to see what people are saying about it. There are some photos and comments about it up there.