Lectrosonics L-series

NoOne

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find interesting the addition of an "IR Synch Port". Wonder what that is about? Also, what does "Talkback" mean in terms of this user-assignable switch?

e.

I'm not pretending to have any insight, but on some of the higher end sennheiser Tx, you can flash program multiple channels via IR.

When I worked in reality tv, I REALLY wanted an option to sync coordinated frequencies between multiple Rx (instead of programming user groups manually x30 Rx).

Maybe something along these lines?

Cool stuff. Four questions:

1) Do the TX accept standard Lectro servo wiring for lavs?

2) Will the LMb and LT transmitters work with Lectro 400 and 200 series RX?

3) On the LR receiver, is the output connector 3.5mm TRS, TA3, or other?

4) About when does Lectro expect to announce pricing?

The new units look very nice:

Lectrosonics_L_Series_Lo.jpg

That looks like a standard TA5 connector on top of the transmitters to me. The interesting thing to me is in these paragraphs:

The ultra-compact LR receiver takes the Lectrosonics Digital Hybrid Wireless® compact receiver concept to an entirely new level. Designed to be ultra-portable for use with DSLR, 4/3, small 4K, and other compact HD cameras, the LR's diminutive size belies the technology inside. The wide tuning bandwidth with tracking front-end filters provides plenty of flexibility while avoiding the vulnerabilities of wider pass bands. Tuning steps are user selectable at 25 or 100 kHz, yielding up to 3,072 operating frequencies. Compatibility modes enable the LR to operate with older analog transmitters. Dual antenna diversity improves range and resistance to dropouts. The RF spectrum analyzer and Lectrosonics’ SmartTune capability make quick work of finding clean frequencies on site. A large, backlit LCD provides instant, clear information for setup and status monitoring while operational. Detachable antennas allow for remote antenna mounting. The LT is housed in the latest machined aluminum shell with super-hard EbNi ‘Ebony’ conductive finish. The unit is powered with two AA batteries.

All three L Series units are available in four different frequency ranges for worldwide use: A1 (470.100 - 537.575 MHz), B1 (537.600 - 614.375 MHz), C1 (614.400 - 691.175 MHz) and D1 (691.200 - 767.975 MHz). Overall system audio specifications are as follows: digital conversion: 24 bit/88.2 kHz sampling rate. Frequency response: 40 to 20 kHz +/- 1 dB, THD+N = 0.3 % in Digital Hybrid mode, > 95 dB s/n ratio. Audio output levels are adjustable from - 50 to +5 dBu in 1dB steps.

So it looks like the previous "blocks" are gone, replaced by "frequency ranges." A1 looks like Blocks 470, 19-20; B1 looks like Blocks 21-23; C1 is Blocks 24-26; and D1 is Blocks 27-29. That's very cool that one receiver and one transmitter can access this vast a range, and that's some incredible engineering in a very tiny package. I'd be curious to see how the new LR receiver compares to a 411, particularly given that the LR looks like it's about 1/3 the size. 

I'm also curious about the "digital conversion 88kHz/24 bit" comment. I assume this is still a digital hybrid transmitter/receiver and is compatible with all the previous generation of Lectro 400 & SM gear. Love the removeable antennas! Can't wait to see them at NAB (booth C1714).

Cool stuff. Four questions:

1) Do the TX accept standard Lectro servo wiring for lavs?

2) Will the LMb and LT transmitters work with Lectro 400 and 200 series RX?

3) On the LR receiver, is the output connector 3.5mm TRS, TA3, or other?

4) About when does Lectro expect to announce pricing?

Hi Jim,

1. When we changed the transmitter input structure to the servo input  many years ago, it was very painful for all our users. If I dared to change it again, I'd have to go into the witness protection program. Simple answer; it is identical.

2. L series are fully compatible to 400's and 200's and have similar emulation modes, including IFB mode.

3. TA3 with the usual balanced wiring and output levels. Same exact structure as all the other Lectro receivers people are used to.

4. We are cranking on the numbers now and will probably have them by NAB (early April).

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

So it looks like the previous "blocks" are gone, replaced by "frequency ranges." A1 looks like Blocks 470, 19-20; B1 looks like Blocks 21-23; C1 is Blocks 24-26; and D1 is Blocks 27-29. That's very cool that one receiver and one transmitter can access this vast a range, and that's some incredible engineering in a very tiny package. I'd be curious to see how the new LR receiver compares to a 411, particularly given that the LR looks like it's about 1/3 the size. 

Rant: On.

While I think these products are very cool development (I would be thrilled to see the Senn G2/G3s find a more professional entry-level replacement), I am still a bit wary of this recent urge for manufacturers to jump on everything Wideband.  Certainly if there are NO performance tradeoffs I am all for the versatility that such a large frequency block could provide us, but I wonder if this is really possible at this point.

I recall reading a thread months ago about Wisycom receivers having issues in the bag with camera hop transmitters nearby.  It makes sense to me that this could be a problem, since the frequency blocks are not just a limitation on us, they also effectively filter outside frequencies that could affect reception (if I understand correctly).  I have enough confidence in Lectrosonics and Zaxcom to know that their new wideband receivers will certainly improve upon what they're replacing (The UCR100 and the QRX100, respectively), but I do imagine there will be tradeoffs, including possible intermod issues and shorter range when compared to equivalent "narrowband" receivers.

Of course, the Sennheiser G3s have been using these larger "A", "B", and "C" blocks for years getting mediocre range, and I assume based on my great experiences with their products that the Lectros will at absolute worst match that level of performance, which seems to be acceptable for the vast majority of wireless users around the world.

I'm hoping that there have been engineering developments that have made the Blocking System unnecessary, but until I start seeing more reports from actual users, I will reserve judgment.

Rant: Off.

e.

P.S.: If it wasnt clear above, I think the updated L-series look awesome, and I can't wait to see if Lectro has more up their sleeve with their higher-end wireless in Vegas.

marc: " the previous "blocks" are gone, replaced by "frequency ranges." "

nope, they co-exist.

Solid: " I will reserve judgment. "

we are all waiting on you...

" (I would be thrilled to see the Senn G2/G3s find a more professional entry-level replacement) "

that would be their mid-level models.

Yet again I'm impressed with another Lectro product. Any time frame as to when our dealers might get them? Thanks.

CrewC

LT and LMb transmitters in several months. We still have to get the the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval. (FCC)

LR receiver a month after that.

You didn't hear that from me.

An Anonymous Poster 

Larry, April 1st is coming soon... So... is this all a ... towards ... or is it for real?

One of these Aprils, we are going to release a real product on April 1 and the joke will be that it isn't a joke. You guys are getting too wary.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

One of these Aprils, we are going to release a real product on April 1 and the joke will be that it isn't a joke.

I hope it has the Double-Secret Factory Reset Procedure!

marc: " the previous "blocks" are gone, replaced by "frequency ranges." "

nope, they co-exist.

Not on these models!   :wacko:

But if all the frequencies are compatible, they're just dropping the term "blocks" for "Frequency Range," which is fine by me. Same deal. 

What I want to know is if we're going to see a Venue with modules that can do Frequency Range A1, B1, C1, and D1... and if it'll have more than 6 receivers, and if it'll have built-in Dante. That would be very cool. 

I'm happy about the LMb. Loved the LMa as economic additional txs/cam hop. 2 AA is great. Hope they can be controlled by tones (Lectro RM app) like SMs. Curious how much less the LMb would have due to the 50 mW limit compared to the LMas 70 mW. I personally don't mind the display on the side at all, nobody seemed to mind that on SM transmitters so I don't get why it's such a problem now.

I personally don't mind the display on the side at all, nobody seemed to mind that on SM transmitters so I don't get why it's such a problem now.

i think the problem is for the side of the receiver not the tx, which may be practical in bags. But could be useful on a camera