Anyone own a 664 and a Maxx?

osa

Curious to know if anyone owns a 664 and a maxx. I was set on a 633 for a smaller rig but the features of the maxx have me at a 50/50 and it hurts my head trying to figure out which to commit to. My only experience with zaxcom to date is the zfr100 which has been a solid little recorder for me. Mainly looking for users' input on workflow with 2 completely different menus etc. thanks in advance for any thoughts. Meanwhile i will return to studying both manuals and searching this forum a little deeper...

Best,

Ken P

sorry, I'm late....

I recall a couple folks (or companies) have already stated on jwsoundgroup.net that they have or use both...

They are different pieces of gear, but I know numerous folks who are multi-lingual, and that would include capable of interchanging amongst and between Windows, MacOS, and even Linux... iOS and Android, etc.

many pro's are adept at using various pieces of different equipment.

sorry, I'm late....

I recall a couple folks (or companies) have already stated on jwsoundgroup.net that they have or use both...

They are different pieces of gear, but I know numerous folks who are multi-lingual, and that would include capable of interchanging amongst and between Windows, MacOS, and even Linux... iOS and Android, etc.

many pro's are adept at using various pieces of different equipment.

+1 

Before the headmaster gets here, I will offer my experiences, fwiw. The analogy between computer OS's is apt. The difference is like moving from Mac to Windows - puzzling and unfamiliar at first, but eventually you get used to it. Rapid switching from on to the other is of course possible, but liable to moments of 'where is that function?'

The chief differences I would say in operating is that Zax rely more on multi-function switches - for panning, trim etc, where SD have hardware for these specific functions. So it is a question of ergonomics and what you like. There is less fiddling with the menu in SD I find, but it is not a biggie. Zax have added a lot of front panel access to make it more functional in that sense in recent updates so, like Mac and Windows, they move ever closer together.

The biggest difference for me is folder structure - SD have always had a very useful folder system - folder/daily/scene, with quick naming and take management. Zax don't really have the equivalent, but many people don't seem to bother about it. I like having a good folder structure. With Zax, all folder names are particular to the card, so that a new card necessitates renaming folders if that is important to you, which is cumbersome and time consuming.

Of course you know about the hardware differences, - one extra mic channel on the Maxx, two card slots on the 633, neverclip etc - so that is part of the equation too.

I would take the Maxx for a test run, the 633 is almost the same as the 664 so you know what to expect with that. Moving from the 664 to the 633 requires almost no learning at all.