Listen to camera return on X3 or X4 SD 633

Scott Anderson

I hooked up an amplified speaker to X3 and a Comtek transmitter to X4 of my SD 633. Often, when camera is doing playback, I'll want to amplify the sound recorded on camera through the speaker (using a hard wire break-a-way cable with return)

I haven't been able to figure out how to get return audio out of X3 or X4. Got it just fine through the headphones of course, but want to keep the speaker connected to X3.

It's helpful to use the sound recorded to camera as often a director will want to watch playback to check if talent said the line right or something and as the return's already plugged into the camera headphone jack, or likely the director's already wearing a Comtek, it would be quick and easy to have sync'd sound ready for playback at any given moment.

How do I get sound sent into the return 3.5 TRS jack on the right side to feed out of the X3/X4 3.5 TRS on the left side of my SD 633?

From the manual: "The Headphone Source in the X3, X4 Routing Screen is a special source which is a copy of the active 

Headphone Source. Changing the Headphone Source will change the Headphone L and Headphone 
R sources routed to X3 and/or X4"

Firmware update may be required for this though. I'm not sure.

From the manual: "The Headphone Source in the X3, X4 Routing Screen is a special source which is a copy of the active 

Headphone Source. Changing the Headphone Source will change the Headphone L and Headphone 
R sources routed to X3 and/or X4"

Firmware update may be required for this though. I'm not sure.

And on the next page:

RTN signal can not be routed to X3 and X4 buses. When Headphone signal is routed to X3 or X4 and

RTN signal is routed to the headphone preset, RTN signal will be present in the headphone output but

not in X3 or X4.

Thanks for the responses and quotes from the manual. I was on a shoot earlier today but should have loaded the PDF on my iPhone from the Sound Devices site before posting the question...   Does make me wonder though why not allow the return signal to be routed to X3 and/or X4? For now then looks like making up a cable to split the HP as you suggest JD may be the thing to do.

• 2 months later...

Am I reading this correctly that the 552 loopback return function is not available on the 633? On a job right now trying to get playback to my IFB like I used to on the 552, but I am assuming it is not an option via internal routing. Heading to rtfm as soon as i get a break. Going to make a cable tonight unless I hear here otherwise.

Ken

Am I reading this correctly that the 552 loopback return function is not available on the 633? On a job right now trying to get playback to my IFB like I used to on the 552, but I am assuming it is not an option via internal routing. Heading to rtfm as soon as i get a break. Going to make a cable tonight unless I hear here otherwise.

Ken

Correct, the Returns are not available on X3/X4 through the HP L/HP R selections.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone come up with a solution for this by chance? Lately Using a 633 Cabled to camera and Using a zax camera link's ifb feed with erx's. Several times been asked to feed camera playback audio to erx's and my only answer was to throw my qrx235 on the camera quickly and turn off my camera link transmitter to quickly switch over the erx audio feeds to be from camera via the qrx. Overkill for what seems like a simple request. Was thinking of a Y cable split from my camera return cable and feeding channel 6 and potting that ch up durring playback potting other channels down. Is there any other option besides this, especially if i need ch 6 for other things?

Ken

repatch your ifb TX to the headph out of your mixer set to hear return.

p

Camera link's ifb tx comes from stereo L-R input feed. Going to stick with the original plan to build a cable splitting return to ch6 and pot up for playback.

Ken

I've been giving this issue a lot of thought.

What if you built a "y" cable from the camera return AND a second "y" cable (of sorts) that went to your IFB transmitter with an A/B switch that would in one position route X3/X4 to the IFB, and in the other position connect to the "y" cable of the camera return to the IFB?

Tom